Flute 3 or 4 pieces best?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
IrishBen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by IrishBen »

For the Rudall style keyless flute does anyone have any strong preferences or opinion regard 3 or 4 pieces/That is the 3 piece would be the headpiece the second piece would be the 3 left holes and then the foot piece would have the 3 right holes. The 4 piece would have the head piece, the barrel, the body which would contain all 6 holes and then a short D foot. I would be curious which Flute would be prefered and why?
dcopley
antispam: No

Post by dcopley »

It is extremely useful to have a separate head joint and barrel with tuning slide. If these joints are combined, you will be left with very limited ability to tune by pulling out the upper socket/tenon joint. Other than that, the configuration of a keyless flute is largely a matter of personal taste and convenience. There are several options.

Combining the upper and lower body, to give one long mid-section with the six tone-holes is more associated with the Pratten models of flute. It is significant with a keyed flute, because it allows the G sharp hole to be placed in its best location. A two-piece mid-section (3 holes in each piece) is a little more convenient for transporting, and some players like to rotate the left- and right-hand sections relative to each other for a more comfortable grip. Some flutes have the lower body (right hand) section combined with the foot joint. I don't like it myself because it looks out of balance, but that is more a matter of personal preference.

Dave Copley
Loveland, Ohio