Noe Freres.... anybody?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Dave Parkhurst
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

I've been reading about all the different styles of flutes (whew) and was curious... has anyone here played a Noe Freres style or Saccama style flute? My hands are pretty small (ie: a Sweet flute is about as big as I can handle without using my pinky to play the E hole) and I've heard they're good for us tiny mitted people.
nickb

Post by nickb »

I believe Terry McGee makes Noe Frere and Siccama style flutes. There should be some info on them on his web site. I saw an original siccama flute for sale on ebay once. It used keys on the first and fourth tone holes. I saved the photo from the sale. I've emailed it to you. I've never played one myself. Maybe Terry could put siccama keys on a pratten for you...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: NickB on 2002-01-26 08:16 ]</font>
tony pearson

Post by tony pearson »

Dave
I ordered a Noe Freres keyless type from Terry McGee about 10 months ago . . . It's due to arrive in about a couple of weeks time. I'll let you know all about it after I've played it in a little.
I decided on this type for perhaps the same reasons as yourself. . . having slender finger pads (which would fit inside some of the fingerholes of most other types!!)
I'll get in touch - back end of February.
Regards . . . Tony Pearson

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tony pearson on 2002-01-27 16:06 ]</font>
tony pearson

Post by tony pearson »

Dave
Tony P again . . .

Terry McGee 'Noe Freres' arrived mid Feb. and I'm currently 'playing it in' very gradually (which may take a few more weeks yet).

I can only say that his flute is both a beautiful piece of craftsmanship and a very willing instrument even to a relative newcomer to flute playing.

Fingering (or finger size) is never going to be a problem with this design and anyone can get a tune out of this wonderfully easy to play instrument.

The clarity and uniform sweetness through the first 2 octaves is very evident (I'm not good enough yet to get the best out of the 3rd octave . . . but it's still up there anyway if only I could develop my embouchure !). I guess the flute would be regarded as 'quiet-ish' but this should still be no problem either for practice or performance.

Regards . . . Tony P.