ormiston flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
eubiedubie
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by eubiedubie »

Has anyone tried an Ormiston flute and can you compare it to some of the other flutes
mention on this forum
e
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by e »

I've played an older blackwood Ormiston (probably six years old, more or less), which had six keys (the usual six, not anything weird like a low C), a square emboucher hole, and a short foot joint.
It was OK. I play Irish music, and I like a powerfull and sweet tone. The flute that I played didn't have a lot of power, and I found it a bit breathy. This may, however, have been due to the fact that the emboucher required is very different than the flutes I'm used to, it being square and all. That being said, the owner of the flute primarily played classical music and she loved it. The key thing is to try it, or better yet, have someone better than you try it. Baring that, see if you can have an approval period.
I've owned a Sam Murray, an Eamonn Cotter, a Hammy Hamilton (for a grand total of 2 days) and currently play an Olwell. I would very, very highly recommend any of these makers if you can get your hands on them (the flutes, that is…..). I've sold all mine but the Olwell, sorry to say, because I feel that it's the last flute I could ever want or need, baring other keys (oh man do I want a low Bb). My personal preference in all these would be Olwell (good luck finding one, or holding out for a minimum of two years to have one built) and Sam Murray, and this is very strictly a matter of taste. I've played a few of Hammy's flutes, and they were awesome, as well (Paul McGratten's in particular). You don't see too many of these for sale, and for good reason: no one wants to let one go. Sam's flutes are very reasonably priced, and the wait isn't too long. I've also heard some very good things about Eugene lambe's (please forgive the spelling) flutes, but never having played one, I can't say for certain.
Good luck.