Playing flute with an underbite...suggestions?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Bretton
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

Hi,

I have enough of an underbite that my bottom teeth (just barely) close over my top teeth when I bite down. I've had this since I ... uh, had teeth I guess. :smile:

I have never been able to get a sound out of a flute in the past (used to try people's flutes in school band). Over a year ago I bought a used Olwell Bamboo in Bb and I get it out now and then and practice, but probalby only about once a month for 10 or 15 minutes.

Lately my sound has been getting better (still can't play any notes in the 2nd octave but D), so I've been practicing more.

It occurred to me today that maybe my underbite was causing me to have "special" problems with forming an embochure correctly.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Also, since I'm practicing on a Bb, I've heard people mention that smaller embochures are harder to play, is that true? ... so it would be easier on a D flute?

I got a sudden urge to aquire one of Skip Healy's F Flutes recently (not sure why...just one of those things...). Anyone have one of these?

Thats all for now...

Thanks for any advice you might have.

-brett
croberts

Post by croberts »

Hi Brett,

For one of Skip's F flutes, check http://home.earthlink.net/~migoya/id3.htm

Chris Roberts
Lady Whistler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Lady Whistler »

Bretton,
I was told in school I couldn't play a flute because I had a tear drop on my top lip. Years later I tried one and after about three days I got my first sound. That was a year ago and now I can play almost anything. I guess what I am trying to say is just practice a lot and never give up.

Lady Whistler
ChrisLaughlin
antispam: No

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Um, I have a slight overbite and I play the flute. It's your lips that matter, and they can be trained to do almost anything (within reason that is). Play the flute. It's fun!
Chris