New McGee flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
bruce_b
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bruce_b »

Hi, if you want to see my new flute, check this out. http://www.home.earthlink.net/~migoya/id21_mcgee.htm
It's every bit as excellent as David writes. Consider Terry McGee if you're looking for a great flute, you won't find any better, mine is amazing.
Bruce Boysen
currently in northern NJ, considering a move to northern Ca.
Hobbies: Irish Trad, wooden flutes & concertinas, mountain biking, hiking & kayaking.
JessieK
antispam: No

Post by JessieK »

Terry McGee makes a fine flute, but I don't think it's accurate to say you won't find any better.

:smile: Jessie
bruce_b

Post by bruce_b »

Well Jessie, that's just your opinion. Notice I didn't say a McGee is *better* than anything else, just as good. No flute is best for everyone, people want different sounds, and the same flute can be easy to play for one person and hard for another. There are a bunch of great makers right now, any of which might make the *best* flute for any one person.
Notice also that I included a link to Fyfer Restorations, which has David Migoya's opinion on the McGee. David is far more experienced than you or I and a lot more knowledgable as to what makes a great flute. He's also very honest, and will give his opinion on just how good a flute really is, even if it hurts his sale.
You can collect all the wooden flutes you like, but I'm confident you won't have a better one than the McGee I just bought, and not just in my opinion.
Added after posting.....After reading this I just realized that the line about collecting all the wooden flutes you like could possibly be taken in a negative manner. Not so at all. If I could afford it I'd own a ton of flutes myself, just that I don't think I'd find one better.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bruce_b on 2001-07-15 13:51 ]</font>
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Have you tried an Olwell, Copley, or Hammy Hamilton?
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Uh oh, here we go =;^)(Loren runs, ducking for cover)
bruce_b

Post by bruce_b »

Jessie, I've played an Olwell, not the others. I've been to Hammy Hamilton's site a bunch of times lusting after one of his low key flutes. Never played a good wooden low Bb flute, but I bet I'd love it. I'm envious of all of you with Copley's, love to try one. I just don't think there are just one or two great makers, I can instantly, off the top of my head name 8 makers with excellent reps.
Loren, whatsamatter, you getting chicken? Out with it, tell us what you think!
Oh yeah, just before I jumped on the McGee Rudall copy, I ordered a few plastic flutes, went way overboard actually and will need to sell some stuff to cover the expense. The Seery is due Tuesday, and the Rutzen about the same time. The Rutzen is the neat (weird?) delrin/blackwood hybrid I mentioned a while ago. I hope I like it. I practically live outdoors spring through fall, and need a flute I can treat roughly.
BTW, if I seem a bit testy, I'm just recovering from Lyme disease, the SECOND time I've had it in a year. This really ticks me off! Maybe I'll quit my nudist hiking club.
Bruce Boysen
currently in northern NJ, considering a move to northern Ca.
Hobbies: Irish Trad, wooden flutes & concertinas, mountain biking, hiking & kayaking.
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Bruce,

Nah, I don't have an opinion on this topic since I've only played the Copley, Healy, Grinter and Hoza. If my financial situation were a little different I'd have snatched that McGee up faster than Seamus Egan can play a long roll....well, maybe I wouldn't have gotten it quite that fast....

Anyway, I've still go many moons to go before my Olwell is ready, and I'm thinking of maybe asking Patrick for a Bb instead of the D, since the Copley is so good.

Anyway, glad you ended up with the McGee, sounds like an awesome flute.

Lyme Disease, twice?!?! Are you serious man? I bashed the brush for 3 hours while Mtn. Biking today and think about those damn ticks all the time.....

Loren
gcollins

Post by gcollins »

Wow! What fireworks around here! I'm glad someone snatched up that McGee, and I am even gladder that it's BruceB.

Sure glad I missed the fireworks, as I was travelling to the Us on business (and suffering major reverse culture shock--Man! people really eat incredibly unhealthy food and they're huge!)

Anyway, is the McGee better than my Olwell?
Why is it that one cannot be satisfied with his lot in life or in this case, his flutre in life?