Flute Video

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
toddyboy50
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by toddyboy50 »

Hope you are all having an excellent and musical New Year... a quick question for the gang,is anyone familiar with how Mickie Zekley's Irish Flute Instruction video (from Lark in the Morning)compares to Mad for Trad in terms of... as a beginner I would particulary like to get some visual/audio demonstration of breathing and other basic playing techniques. Anyone tried this video?Thanks... Tod
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Yes, I'd like to know about this one too. Anyone care to offer a brief outline/appraisal of either of these? I'm just getting started and expect that my primary flute tutor will be a video/CD, so I'd like to get a good one. Thanks.

Dave

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DaveO on 2002-01-06 14:52 ]</font>
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

I've recently bought both the Mad for Trad CD and the Lark in the Morning Video. So far I've only got throught the material once to get a feel for it, I haven't gone through them in detail.

The Lark in the Morning video is fairly short. First he talks about position, holding the flute, embrochure, and a few ornamentations. The rest of the video is him playing songs. The first couple are done different ways, slowly and then fast, with and without ornamentation. The rest are done at speed.

My hope was to use it to play along with in order to build speed. It should work fine for that, but not much more. I didn't learn anything new that I hadn't already heard in an introductory flute workshop I took this summer at SamFest in Houston.

The Mad for Trad CD is well produced, the CD is a series of web pages with embedded video files. This way you can actually read the sheet music as you play. This puts it up a notch on the Lark video for me, I'm not greast at picking music up by ear. I do wish that had included wave or mp3 files of the songs so I could play them at a slower tempo at first.

My first impression is that these are good to play along with but for real information you're probably better off finding a workshop to attend.

I've also found the book "Timber: The Irish Flute Tutor" to be a great help.