LOOKEY >>>Flutes at auction next week...England

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

David Migoya wrote:Followed by what "Mr. LMigoya" did not tell you. I love the subliminal use of "L" in my name, too! So slick.
Yes, i saw that. Subtle as an elephant's f*rt.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

And now he has a whole line of people there who, yawn, "dismiss" me.

Sigh.

I'm ruined! And I don't even know anybody! Mr. KIA knows everyone! :shock:

A flute festival? Why not?
Chris Norman's got one (darn good, too.....think it's called Boxwood)...
Skip Healy's got one (darn good, too, I'm told.....think it's called Wind on the Bay)
There's a great one in EAst Durham (isn't there?) run by many other famous names.
I suppose a festival by someone we don't know would be a great idea! Where do I pay?

Grixxly....do I have to pay you if you're my stooge, as Andrews says you are? Gee I hope not!
sturob
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by sturob »

andrew wrote: If I win a million I shall invite him at my expense to my flute festival along with Eilam , Jim and Sturob , and probably Glauber , if he is not in too sensitive a mood , ( if I live long enough ).
How on earth is it that I miss these threads?

When are we having the festival? ;)

Stuart
andrew

Post by andrew »

Stooges are usually misled rather than paid , as any fule kno !
As for Glauber , I am a great fan . One of the consistently best contributors to the various forums I have looked at , and an honest man !
I do not have any reason to think of Mr Migoya as a cheat .On the contrary .An honest dealer , I expect . I would buy a flute from him if I wanted another .I don't expect that he would want to sell me one , but that's all right .
I have never called Mr Migoya a shyster .I am the lawyer , rather than him , I guess .I don't know if Mr Migoya has any serious qualifications .Many excellent people have none .Certainly he doesn't seem to be equipped to do serious flute repairs , farming out anything of consequence .
The question of why he removed from his website the honest explanation given by Tony Bingham ( A multimillionaire and greatly respected dealer in early instruments ) of what he had paid for a Rudall and Rose flute in the now infamous auction ( which Mr Migoya was mysteriously concerning himself with ) , and substituted his own false figure remains to be answered .But I don't care .He and it are a great bore .
andrew

Post by andrew »

Sturob .I am attempting , against all the odds, as a poor person ,to hold a flute festival over a weekend in Malvern , a very beautiful hill area on the border of Herefordshire and Worcestershire , in the summer of '05. (I have chosen to spend my life doing other things than making money , a very un- American thing I imagine ).
The things going for it are that the Director of the local theatre complex (which adjoins a fine park on the slope of our beautiful hills ) is keen , and that so far Matt Molloy , Jean-Michel Veillon , Brian Finnegan , Sylvain Barou , Stephen Preston , Lisa Berzosiuk and others have expressed a keen interest in coming , some of them providing masterclasses and workshops . Obviously there is a lot to be done, in terms , perhaps , of sponsorship , Radio take up , accommodation and so many other things .
How to blend the available skills of the greatest baroque and Irish players is not simple .The common foundation of dance tunes may be helpful . Any serious advice will be appreciated . It seems as well not to ignore any of such great talent , but arguably not sensible to overload the weekend .We may know better in years to come , With the cooperation of my consultant haematologist .
The key to all things , of course will be early confirmations of bookings when the date is confirmed , so I can help with accommodation .This at the moment depends on Matt , perhaps the principal draw , and the Director .Contracts , of course have to be agreed . The idea , rather than making money is that everybody , whether players or audience , have a great time .
One of the greatest benefits to players could be that Mr Wilkes , a wonderful blower of the flute , will be in attendence to discuss visitor's flutes with them , and more particularly to show them what they could get out of their own flute .He is a great teacher .Jean-Michel may help here .
It should all be very chummy .
What have I got into ? !!! .I have to thank Graham Farr of Scotland for his assistance in the venture .
To finance the whole thing I may sell a beautiful cello bow by Simon of Paris mounted in gold and tortoiseshell which you can view on
WWW.simon.colwall.net Tell your cellist friends !
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

andrew wrote:Stooges are usually misled rather than paid , as any fule kno !
Ah, yes. Now I'm being called a fool.
Wait.
No I'm not.
He's calling himself a fool, right?
Sigh.
Does it ever, EVER, end?? :tomato:
andrew wrote:I do not have any reason to think of Mr Migoya as a cheat .On the contrary .An honest dealer , I expect . I would buy a flute from him if I wanted another .I don't expect that he would want to sell me one , but that's all right .
Nice attempt at a save, bud! :thumbsup:
andrew wrote:I don't know if Mr Migoya has any serious qualifications .Many excellent people have none .Certainly he doesn't seem to be equipped to do serious flute repairs , farming out anything of consequence .
Sigh.
Mr. KIA again. Good thing all my personal flutes don't read your posts! They'd be shocked to know I had no idea what I was doing to them. Too, it's a wise man who knows when he doesn't know and asks the one who does know. You might be nuts enough to muck up a playable flute (seeing as you don't play, there's no bother there) but I am not. So, I'm all too happy to have a friend/associate work on a key or block.
Then again.....that's precisely why Mr. W seems to tolerate you, isn't it?? :poke:
andrew wrote:The question of why he removed from his website the honest explanation given by Tony Bingham ( A multimillionaire and greatly respected dealer in early instruments ) of what he had paid for a Rudall and Rose flute in the now infamous auction ( which Mr Migoya was mysteriously concerning himself with ) , and substituted his own false figure remains to be answered .
Wow. Now I'm a prevaricator as well as a ruthless editor!
Here's the "offending" post on the Yahoo site of Rudall & Rose of which Andrew speaks:
>>>
What Migoya wrote: I should note that Tony Bingham corresponded that he did, in fact,
purchase the flute at the auction for @ 1125 GBP.
The price of the day on exchange was @ $1.85/GBP
The eBay auction garnered about the same price....$2,450.
Nice get for that buyer (who owns other Rudalls), although the flute
does need repair work.
<<<
Let's see....The flute sold at Gardiner Houlgate for 980 GBP. Add 15% on the hammer, that's .....lookey there....1127. :shock:
Scandalous! He rounded down!! False figure captured!!
Even though he used the "@" symbol to show it was, in fact, approximate! :boggle:

Stop it, Andrew. Your effort is nebulous at best. And full of holes.

Still, I saw how poor, unknowing Tony got yanked into it (by you, that is) to post a correction that it was HE and not someone else who bought the flute. Fair enough. I edited out the names, seeing as everyone didn't need to see the minutia of it. The facts are what they are.

But nevertheless.....there's an easy explanation for anything on MY website. Uh.....sir.....IT'S MINE. :lol:
And you got tossed once you tried to bring your caustic crap with you (sneaking in, I might add, before you got your butt caught) :oops:

Now, Andrew....I repeat:
Behave Yourself :adminok:
or
Go Away :adminno:
Rosemary Lane

Foolishness

Post by Rosemary Lane »

If you argue with a drunk there are two fools arguing.
If you argue with a fool then you are a fool to argue with him.
Aodhan

Post by Aodhan »

Notwithstanding anything else:

1) David, how do you place a proxy bid at the auction? I still haven't received a response from the auction house (Nor any other pictures damnitall...)

2) What do you think a fair price for the flute would be, given the crack through the head?

Thanks!

Aodhan
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

FINALLY!
A SANE VOICE IN THE MIST OF DELUSION!
THANK YOU!

see your PMs :boggle:
andrew

Post by andrew »

Tony Bingham posted the actual price .You took it off and posted a false one .How do you get away from that ?
And @ doesn't mean approximately .
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

andrew wrote:...And @ doesn't mean approximately .
If I'm not mistaken, it's actually a form of abbreviation of the word "circa", which means that "approximately" is truer a meaning than the prevalent "at" of internet use.

Nitpicking done.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

how in the hell is "@1125" a false price when the real total price was 1127???
I give up. You go ahead and think what you want. You're turning sour and dour. It's becoming taxing.

And I'm sure you would have prefered "~1125" instead?

@ = at or about (or, by synonym, approximately)
At least here it does.
But what do we know about the English language. It's not like we invented it or anything!

Now can we stop this stupid diatribe?
Or do you need to get spanked even more before you're sent to your corner without your gruel?
andrew

Post by andrew »

£ 980 + 17 1/2 % = £ 1151 , as Mr Bingham said in the post which you removed .How much more nonsense ?
"@ ", in my experience has never meant approximately .It is an ampersand , meaning and ,and I believe nothing else .In the underworld of New York who knows ?
( but dear old M . do look at your inmail where a sweet message awaits you ! )
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Sorry, Andrew. "&" is the ampersand.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

andrew wrote:£ 980 + 17 1/2 % = £ 1151 , as Mr Bingham said in the post which you removed .How much more nonsense ?
This from the Gardiner Houlgate house today's email:
Gardiner Houlgate wrote:If you wish to send a bid on a lot, please do so. The buyers premium is 15%.
Care to take care of the discrepancy here?
Besides....who the heck cares!?........1125 or 1151......that's just $50 or so. Christ, it's not $1,000!
The premise was profiteering (of which I was accused, wrongly)....and the flute sells on eBay for @1338 GBP (or $2450 US) as a MINIMUM (and only it turns out) bid. (The math is $1.83/1 GBP). Uh, that's a 200 GBP or more profit for doing nothing.
Frankly, I don't care that Tony profitted. He should.
But don't smack me for offering a client's flute -- that i'm supposed to get top dollar for -- but claim the other is not doing the same. I take great offense to that duplicity! And that, after all, is what started all this now-stupid nonsense.

And as much nonsense as you dish out, old boy, you'll get back.

Thanks, too, on catching his Ampersand bull.

Go to
http://www.daube.ch/docu/glossary/signs.html#atsign
and get it right, Andrew!
Geeze!