New M&E polymer Rudall bore flute...

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eskin »

Hi y'all,

I just took delivery of a new M&E polymer flute in what I am told by Mark Polczynski is a new design for M&E, based on a historical Rudall and Rose instrument.

I'm absolutely amazed by the sound of this instrument, it far exceeded my expectations for a plastic flute and competes with any wooden flute currently in my collection.

Mine has the silver bands, makes for a very good looking instrument as well.

Mark tells me that anyone interested in obtaining one of these flutes should specifically ask for the new Rudall design.

Please feel free to contact me on or off list if you have any questions about the instrument. I'll try to post some MP3s in the next few weeks.

Cheers,

Michael Eskin
brownja

Post by brownja »

Michael,
Have you played a "standard" M&E?
Any comparison? Are the finger holes tiny on this model?
I'm pretty close to putting my money down on one of these. Now there's a new option to consider.
Thanks,
jb

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: brownja on 2002-01-11 07:53 ]</font>
jomac

Post by jomac »

I play a standard model, and the finger holes on it are fairly tiny; smaller than on any other flute I've seen (though I haven't seen all that many).

Joe
eskin

Post by eskin »

No, they aren't small, bigger than the standard M&E model in Rosewood I tried. I'll see if I can get a photo posted somewhere. I'd highly recommend this version of the instrument. Mine has the standard embrochure, don't know if the split model would improve or degrade the tone...

Cheers,

Michael
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Michael,

What's the outside circumference like on this new flute ? The standard M&E is a bit thick....

Loren
eskin

Post by eskin »

The diameter in general seems less than than the standard model I tried. I have very small hands and this one feels fine. I can't say exactly how its different, since I don't have both here to compare.

Mark Polczynski can probably provide some insight on this...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: eskin on 2002-01-11 21:57 ]</font>
Bretton
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

On 2002-01-10 22:01, eskin wrote:
Hi y'all,

I just took delivery of a new M&E polymer flute in what I am told by Mark Polczynski is a new design for M&E, based on a historical Rudall and Rose instrument.

I'm absolutely amazed by the sound of this instrument, it far exceeded my expectations for a plastic flute and competes with any wooden flute currently in my collection.

Cheers,
Michael Eskin
Hi Michael (or anyone else who cares to comment...),

I was considering getting a D Olwell Bamboo (I'm currently playing a Bb Olwell Bamboo). Do you think the M&E would be a better choice?

I don't have much to spend on a flute (I've spent it all on whistles and melodeons), so an M&E would be about the limit of my budget.

I also have fairly small hands, so I was worried the Olwell D bamboo might be a bit of a stretch for me.

-brett
eskin

Post by eskin »

I also have very small hands and have no problems playing the new Rudall M&E polymer. I do have problems with the M&E standard model, the one Rosewood I tried was a bit thick for me.

So far everyone I've had try this new flute is absolutely thrilled with it both in terms of quality of tone, and ease of play. One is placing his order for one today.

Michael