Looking for good wooden flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
DaveAuty
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play the whistle, I used to play flute but have Dupuytren's contracture so can only play whistle now which is fine. Mostly play sessions around Canterbury Kent area.

Post by DaveAuty »

Hi everyone,

I am thinking of buying a wooden keyless flute. I play a silver concert flute which isn't ideal for playing Irish type music, (for me anyway.)
Have any of you flute players suggestions as to where I could get one and what in your opinions are the better ones? Someone suggested a 'Wilkes' any comments on that?

Thanks,

Dave.
Dave Parkhurst
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

I'm hardly an expert, but those who play say that Wilkes makes an awesome flute. There are others you could get while waiting the 5 years for a Wilkes, also.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Get a Copley.

:smile: Jessie
croberts

Post by croberts »

Hi Dave,

If you decide on a Copley, check http://home.earthlink.net/~migoya/id10.htm

Chris Roberts
DaveAuty
Tell us something.: I play the whistle, I used to play flute but have Dupuytren's contracture so can only play whistle now which is fine. Mostly play sessions around Canterbury Kent area.

Post by DaveAuty »

Thanks for that info.
Those 'Copley' flutes sound nice!... I am getting spoilt for choice as someone has offered to sell me a 'Skip Healy' flute.
I would prefer buying from the UK though as this is where I am.
I suppose I will have to leave the 'Wilkes' I don't mind a few months but not years!
At least now I have more options.

Cheers,

Dave.
OdinDane

Post by OdinDane »

Wilkes waiting list for a Keyed flute is 5 years but for a keyless it's much shorter. Under a year
DaveAuty

Post by DaveAuty »

Cheers Odin, I will look into that.

Dave.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

For starters, a Ralph Sweet is not bad, although I'm told they vary quite a bit from one to another. I had one for quite a long time, then sold it in favor of a Thin Weasel, which I absolutely love.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

BTW-- before you give up on your concert flute, drag out your Cherish the Ladies and listen to Joanie a bit more....
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

My advice... call Patrick Olwell right now. Order a D bamboo flute from him for delivery now and get on the waiting list for one his unkeyed wooden flutes. The bamboo costs $100, plays beautifully, and is available now. If you get started on it now the wooden flute will arrive just when your fingers and embouchure are ready for it. After that you'll never need another flute again, unless you want keys that is!
My two cents,
Chris
DaveAuty

Post by DaveAuty »

Thanks everyone for all the useful information.
I have just ordered a Wilkes keyless in D. Chris reckons about a year which gives me something to look forward to.
Chris, Brian Finnegan plays a bamboo flute is that an Olwell?

Dave.
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

You are going to be VERY happy with that Wilkes! I didn't know you could get an unkeyed flute from him so quickly. Those are superb flutes.
Yup, the bamboos Brian plays are made by Patrick Olwell.
Chris
DaveAuty

Post by DaveAuty »

A Bamboo flute sounds the Bees Knees and only $100.
What with my already deep seated WhOA! I am now getting the flute version! Is there no hope? :smile:
Dave Parkhurst
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

No Dave, it doesn't get better.... I started with one silly little Clarke classic, am now making my own whistles, have purchased 3 flutes so far, and am starting to salivate whenever I see photos of high-end concert flutes, cellos and violas..... quick somebody, get medical assistance....and order a Wilkes...(gasp)
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

No, it most certainly does not get any better. I have a Grinter blackwood in D, a Copley blackwood in D, Owell bamboos in D and Eb, and I'm on the waitlist for a cocus Olwell in D.
All the flutes I have so far are superb.
As far as wooden flutes go (bamboo excluded), David Copley's flutes are fantastic players and a fantastic deal.
Chris