taking the plunge

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Dave Parkhurst
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

okay guys, as Jessie knows, I am now on the Copely waiting list. And yes, I am making a copper flute (it's in G) and no, it's not for sale. Darn, this flute stuff is much worse than WHoA. BTW... did you see the Rudall & Rose on EBay?
Stan

Post by Stan »

OK Dave, let me save Jessie the trouble of
correcting you....it's Copley, not Copely.
Just brought this up since you'll obviously
be blubbering about your new jewel for the
next six months or so. Congrats !
tryster

Post by tryster »

dear dave and others,
regarding boxwood flute on ebay.this is a piece of crap like the acoumpanying story. and i should know i believe i used to own it. i bought it from hobgoblin in bradford some years ago. i sent it to charles wells, flutemaker after purchase for some block and key repairs after purchase and he pointed out that the headjoint was from a completely different flute, look at the colour of the "ivory" on the headjoint. it was badly out of tune with itself and of low volume although it did have a sweet tone. charles wells was of the opinion that the tenon of the left hand joint had been artificially exended to fit the headjoint and it was apparant why he thought this on rolling back the binding. all trace of the makers name had been eliminated from the left hand joint and when i sold it at southeby's auction in london after never being able to achieve satisfactory music on it, they thought that perhaps only the right hand and foot joint were by ruddell and rose.
i also wish to state that the seller sold a monzani flute on ebay sometime after it went through a southebys auction with a large difference in price, by an amazing coincidence the metzler flute i traded for the "ruddell and rose" at hobgoblin was also on ebay recently and described mostly accurately, the space in the case was for a
piccolo. it was a band flute a neighbour had in his loft and was sharp with a cylindlical bore but otherwise a good flute. i am of the opinion that it was more likely to be of the vintage 1900-1910 though i remember hammy hamilton saying in his book that even experts can get their fingers burned buying a flute at auction and this is even more true on ebay. remember the sharkskin.
i occasionally watch this list and registered to post this. i used to be on wooden flute,its too much for me. but i dont mind if the contents of this post are relayed there. my motive is truth.my advice is forget ebay and buy a new flute from one of the many excellent makers. i like my gilles lehart and thomas aebi. there are many though.
toddyboy50

Post by toddyboy50 »

When it comes to high-ticket items, over a few hundred dollars, there are rarely any bargains to be found on ebay by the time the bidding ends. There is currently a new Rosewood M&E "special edition" up for auction by the maker....don't hear much about his wooden flutes, anybody familiar with them? - Tod
gcollins

Post by gcollins »

I've been following the antique flutes on ebay for a couple of years, and you would be foolish to buy one there.

There are now too many outlets to buy the real flutes--the current makers, people like migoya, the london R&R dealers and the woodenflute folks.

Anyone who really wants a good flute should stay away from ebay, IMHO.

G
tryster

Post by tryster »

i repost for clarification. i am sure there are many good old flutes out there as well as bad ones and the best way to get one is to use a reputable old flute dealer like migoya. avoid ebay and any situation where you buy unseen without a return if not satisfied policy. indeed best ensure this in any flute purchase. be wary of folk music shops where the experise may not necessarily be in old flutes if this is what you seek. if you're a novice have the flute onced over by an experienced player and read the still relevant and excellent advice in hammy hamiltons book.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

I appreciate the posts about using reputable restorers/dealers for flutes. While I won't say that eBay is a bad place to buy a flute, unless you know EXACTLY what you're getting before hand (most don't) and the seller is reputable, it's a huge risk. I've purchased some flutes on eBay, mostly for spare parts to melt down and recast or wood blocks, etc. There have been some nice "gets" here and there, but mostly just okay. Then again, when I purchase an eBay flute, it doesn't much matter its condition as I can restore them. Most players cannot. So a Rudall at any price isn't worth much if it's crap.
Still, I've used eBay to sell some flutes that aren't high-end, but are great players. Why? Because it's a better venue. Who chooses the anonymous German flute over a named English maker?
Best advice I can give is to be wary for eBay flutes unless you know who the seller is. If you're not sure, ask someone. I've had many clients ask for my input/opinion about a flute selling on eBay and whether they should consider a purchase or not. Whatever it is, figure on adding about $200-$600 extra on having it restored after you buy it. That's always safe. Unless of course you can do that yourself, then you're ahead of the game.