Good flutes for small hands??

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eskin »

Hi y'all,

I've had a heck of a time finding a keyless flute that will fit my small hands. The 1857 8-key Metzler that I bought from David Migoya is a perfect fit, while a few keyless flutes I've owned and returned have been just plain painful to hold.

I'm looking for a keyless flute to use in sessions, easy to play, with good volume, close finger spacing and smaller hole size. Based on my experience so far, I'm pretty certain I need a flute where the left and right hand sections are independent so I can rotate them as required.

Its almost to the point where I might just have to order an Olwell bamboo, I guess I could do worse...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Michael Eskin

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: eskin on 2001-12-16 16:57 ]</font>
tony pearson

Post by tony pearson »

Eskin, my friend
You didn't say how much you wanted (needed!) to pay. Smaller holes usually mean less volume.
Get a Noe Freres (early 19th cent.) French type. Keyless - Conical bore - small finger holes fairly close together.
Terry McGee can make you one (Waiting list unfortunately !!)
Cheers . . . Tony P
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Michael,

Wow, I found the Olwell Cane D to be one of the most difficult flutes to finger.

What have you tried already that didn't work for you, might give people a better idea where you're at and what you're looking for since many of us have tried several different contemporary flutes, but not many vintage models like the Metzler.

Loren

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Loren on 2001-12-16 17:57 ]</font>
eskin

Post by eskin »

Hi Loren,

I've tried a Casey Burns (even the small hands model was too big), Seery, Dixon, Hamilton, and a few others. I've tried a couple of vintage 8-key flute besides my own Metzler and they were very comfortable. I think its a combination of the weight and diameter on the left hand that determines the comfort. If I have to stretch to get to the left ring finger hole, then I'm going to suffer.

I've seriously considered going more towards the baroque flute, even with the reduced volume. My plastic Aulos baroque flute is the most comfortable one I own, but its a bit quiet for sessions. Good flute to use if playing into a microphone.

I'd consider your ironwood Healy, but right now, I'm avoiding all one-piece body flutes, I don't think there is much of a chance of it fitting my hands. Of course, you never know until you try...

Cheers,

Michael
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I'm not trying to convince you to buy my Healy man, I totally understand about the 1 pc. body thing - just doesn't suit some folks. I am surprised you've never run across a Healy you could try though.

Anyway, why don't you measure the LH spacing on your Metzler from the top edge of the first hole to the bottom edge of the third. Give us hole diameters too. That way folks will know better what your needs are.

Loren
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Alright guys, I really respect all of you, but I've got to say, I think that worrying about the finger stretch so much is sort of going in the wrong direction. I have average hands at best and I have never found a flute I had any trouble playing, except for my first flute, which, after going through the initial pain and discomfort, feels wonderful in my hands. Yes, it hurt like crazy for the first couple months, and the holes are really close together, but now I can handle anything. Likewise, after a couple of weeks of struggle I was able to play my low Bb Chieftain no problem. I repeat, I have small to average hands. Similarly, if in Ireland, one may see children of the age of 10 playing flutes with big holes and big stretches no problem. This is not to say that these flutes didn't give them problems initially - I'm sure they did - it is rather to say that these kids worked through it until their hands stretched a little bit and it stopped hurting. So... if you really want to run off in pursuit of the flute or low whistle with the easiest grip that's fine and I respect that, but you might find it a lot more rewarding to go chasing after the flute with the best tone and response and just go through a little pain and hard work to break your hands in so you can play the darn thing.
My two cents,
Chris

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ChrisLaughlin on 2001-12-16 23:17 ]</font>
eskin

Post by eskin »

Hi Chris,

I can't disagree more with your post. I've been playing and teaching flute and other winds nearly my whole life and I think I have some idea of what works and doesn't for my hands.

I'm a firm believer that if you experience pain while playing an instrument, you should do whatever it takes to eliminate it, otherwise you will quickly end up doing possibly unreversable damage to your hands. I've seen many a fiddler and wind player who have ended up with tendonitis or RSI because they put up with pain with playing and now are unable or restricted in their playing. Your advice could do great harm if followed.

My advice to anyone is find an instrument that fits your body, don't change your body to fit the instrument. This goes for flute, guitar, Uilleann pipes, etc.

Michael
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Michael,

I just ran across this maker today: http://www.flutes.fsbusiness.co.uk/ I know nothing about him, but I did notice the quite small finger holes/spacing. I can't say that I like the round embouchures but perhaps he can customize that. Something else to look at anyway.

Erik
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Hi Michael -
I completely respect your opinion, and I trust that you know better than I. It's just my experience that the position required to hold a flute (or even a low whistle) is very alien to the hands and almost no-matter what it is going to hurt at first. I don't advocate abusing your hands when it comes to getting the hands used to the stretch - but I do think it is okay to slowly work your hands up to the stretch in a way that doesn't do any damage. I guess what I'm trying to say is that new flute players are going to feel pain in their hands almost no matter what and I don't want that to discourage them from tackling a flute with a wider stretch, or any flute for that matter. Like any excercise, you've got to get in shape for it slowly, through stretching and building up muscles, and eventually it will come easily.
Respectfully,
Chris