Jigs, Reels, Hornpipes, etc...

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Grixxly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Jigs, Reels, Hornpipes, etc...

Post by Grixxly »

All,

Could someone explain the difference between jigs, reels, and hornpipes? The all seem so fast, of course, but I don't know what the differences are. Also, I'm having fun learning airs, since the learning curve is pretty shallow, but I'd like to move 'up'. Could you guys recommend some 'easy' jigs, reels, or hornpipes?

Oh and is there another music book like O'Neills 1000?

Thanks,
Tony
Stan

Post by Stan »

Here's a start, Tony:

http://www.irishtune.info/rhythm/
sturob
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by sturob »

The short answer about jigs vs. reels/hornpipes is that jigs are in 3, reels and hornpipes are in 2. Most "standard" (single/double/hop) jigs are in 6/8; slip jigs are in 9/8. Reels are usually in cut time, which is basically 4/4 cut in half (2/2); hornpipes are usually written in 2/4.

Reels are often played with a more even tempo than hornpipes.

Does that make any sense? There's probably a better description of how the rhythms in these styles of tunes differ in Grey Larsen's book, Grixx; you should definitely go out and get a copy of it.

My description is like THE most basic, simplistic definition of jig vs. reel/hornpipe ever. There's definitely more to it than that.

Stuart
Grixxly

Post by Grixxly »

Thanks!

I have Grey's book, but it's definitely for intermediates and above. I've had a hard time understanding what he saying, and not that I've been discouraged; I've more put it aside until I learn more. I guess I just need to keep reading.

Thanks everyone,
Tony
Grixxly

Post by Grixxly »

I'm wondering is there any such thing as an easy jig, reel, or hornpipe? Beginner easy that is.

Thanks,
Tony
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

'Off to california' is a good hornpipe for starters.
It's deceptively easy, in that I'm still trying to
get it right, but it's so much fun one wants
to play it.
Grixxly

Post by Grixxly »

I tried looking for that on the MIT ABC tune finder with no luck. Is the music available online?

Thanks,
Tony
Stan

Post by Stan »

Here's a link to "Off to California"

http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/cgi/abc/get ... fornia.gif

You can also listen to a MIDI file.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

"The Quaker's Wife" from Bill Och's Clarke Tinwhistle Tutor is really easy. "Drummond Castle", a bit further in, is pretty easy too. As is "The Blackthorn Stick" (got it from Walton's 101 Best Irish Tinwhistle Tunes) (All jigs)

I'll second "Off to California" as an easy hornpipe. Ditto for "The Boys of Bluehill" and "The Harvest Home" - got all these from the Walton's book.

Still working on reels, myself, but "Rolling in the Ryegrass" (both the Clarke and Walton's books have it) is pretty easy. So is "The Old Gray Cat" from the Clarke book.

Enough to start with?

Edit - I forgot to mention that the Clarke tutor comes with a CD and CDs are available with the Walton's book - this lets you hear what the tune is supposed to sound like. Best way I know to learn the rhythms is to listen.

And I'm recommending tinwhistle books because I have 'em, it's my main instrument, and because it's also written in D. In general, any music written for one will work for the other - tinwhistle just plays it an octave higher.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Many jigs and reels do very well when not played a million miles an hour. Morrison's jig is a good example -- it makes a very good dance tune when played at standard tempo, but it can be slowed down, given a bit of swing, and makes a really good piece that way, too. It's a good piece for a beginner, too, because it has a couple of obvious and somewhat isolated places to practice rolls, too.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

I second what Charlie said; even at an advanced level, not everything should be played at hyper speed. This is particularly true of hornpipes, almost all of which should be slow to moderate, almost without exception. Once a hornpipe becomes indistinguishable from a reel, you know something's not right. Reels can be played slower to great effect as well; listen to Malloy play the Maids of Mitchellston with the Bothys, or Crawford (who usually, IMO, plays things too fast) on the Kerry Reel on the D Flute album (I think he calls it the Humors of Rossbeigh on that CD -- same tune in any case).
Played more slowly, tunes tend to separate, their melodies (often) quite different. As things speed up, they do, in truth, begin to blur.
Jigs should have a good dance feel, whether taken fast or somewhat slower, and they are generally always slower than a fast reel.
The time signatures -- as mentioned above -- are significantly different (I would have said reels and hornpipes are in 4/4, not 2/4, and polkas are in two, but I'd be splitting hairs -- the differences are really more a matter of how you swing the tune, and that's usually determined by the composition of the tune itself).
Find a few older-style players to listen to, say a Mike Rafferty or Jack Coen -- they may not light you on fire right away, and the accompaniment, on the non-solo tunes, may seem more hokey , but you will really hear the differences between these tune types much more clearly than on more modern players, who like to use rhythmic changes and sychopations to spice things up (and often to deliberately blur the lines between tune types).
Gordon
msheldon

Post by msheldon »

Packie Manus Byrnes' book, A dossan of Heather, has some jigs that sound very nice at lower speeds. Fact is, I'm pretty sure tunes like "Forgetting the Lesson" would sound pretty terrible at "session-speed"

From his quotes, Packie doesn't seem all that impressed with ultra-fast playing. :)
Michael Sheldon
Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a good book.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Peach

Post by Peach »

Tony,

Let me suggest Skip Healy's "Have Ye This One" for learning tunes. Its is a 2 CD set and music book containing reels, jigs, hornpipes, marches and a couple of waltzes. in the book, the tunes are written out twice - once without any variations or ornamentaion and the second time includes a few grace notes here and there. On the CD, SKip plays each tune (except the waltzes) three times through. The first and second times match what is written in the book with the "plain" version being played at a slower tempo; the second time through the tempo picks up a bit and the ornamentation is added; the third time through is at a faster tempo and Skip takes off and makes the tune "his own"!

The best part is that the set helps strengthen both site reading and ear training, as you can follow along in the book with whats being played on the CD, or just learn from the CD.
You can check it out at:
www.skiphealy.com

Sue
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

msheldon wrote:Packie Manus Byrnes' book, A dossan of Heather, has some jigs that sound very nice at lower speeds. Fact is, I'm pretty sure tunes like "Forgetting the Lesson" would sound pretty terrible at "session-speed"

From his quotes, Packie doesn't seem all that impressed with ultra-fast playing. :)
One of my favorites - and yes, I think it does sound better at a moderate pace. The track on the accompanying CD is at an easy tempo, but it still has a nice amount of swing - in fact, I think this track was the one that finally got jig rhythm to "click" for me.

Though it doesn't have a track on the CD, #10 (I think) in the book - "The Sheigh O' Rye" - is also a nice, easy, jig. Mostly lower-octave, and doesn't go above 2nd octave E.

The sheet music also has suggested ornamentation - Packie tends to use it sparingly (mustly cuts and taps), but what's there is both easy and tasteful, IMHO.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

John Skelton also has two nice CD/music book combinations that are good for all levels. The first one is "A Few Tunes" and the second one (what a wacky guy ;-)) is "A Few More Tunes." As I recall one book/CD combo will set you back about $20. Anyway, each set covers about 30 nice (and some quite unusual) jigs, reels, and hornpipes in a fairly simple, stripped-down fashion -- but they're not boring, because he plays them with such lovely style and swing. To some degree, it's more like the classic old-style playing mentioned above. On the second CD he also gives us a nice example of how to turn a jig into a reel, plus several takes on Miss McLeod's -- a good beginner reel, BTW. And, extra bonus: you get as much of a lovely naked Olwell as you can handle. :twisted:

PM me if you'd like his email or phone; I think the info's also on the woodenflute.com Teachers List.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.