How to hold the flute? Beginner's question!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Azalin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

Heya,

I decided to officially start playing flute, and well, I guess I got a basic question. I know there are two ways to hold the flute. The most common is to kind of hold the flute between the index and thumb, and have your three first finger in "angle". The second is to use the thumb on the flute's side and then you end up playing your flute as you wouldplay a low whistle, for example. Well, anyway, hope you know what I mean. I've seen both styles, and I personnally find the second technique easier for me. It's much more similar to whistle and low whistle handling, and easier for me. BUT is there any drawback? Why one way instead of the other? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-- Azalin

PS: Congratz guy! You brainwashed me into buying a Copley flute!
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

The only problem that I see would be if you want to use keys at sometime in the future.
clark
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Post by clark »

Take a look at the thread below: flat fingers on keyed flute.

If I understand what you are saying - you are raising the issue of "pipers" fingering vs. a more end of the finger approach (which is more usual). There is no right or wrong here, but I think it is a good idea to not start with the "flat" or "pipers" position if you have any intention of moving to a keyed flute in the future. Flat fingers and keys don't usually mix. You don't intend to ever use keys in the future, you say? Well, it's the future... and unless you have a crystal ball... Probably not a good idea to cut off possibilities. Picture yourself putting in 2, 3, 10 years of flat fingered fluting and then that keyed beauty starting calling your name! You would be in real trouble then!

Clark

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: clark on 2001-12-02 09:00 ]</font>
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Thanks for the answer... But I'm not sure about why it would be harder to use keys when using the flat fingering technique? I havent see enough different flute in my life, but the M&E flutes I got have keys and I can still use them... But I think you might be talking about those flutes where your fingers are actually "stopped" from going further because of the keys design. Darn, life with whistles was so easy!
clark
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Post by clark »

Yes, you have the idea! The key blocks get in the way. I've heard that pin mounted keys SOMETIMES work with flat fingering, but I've never tried.

clark