OT - Gemeinhardt flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Ceara
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

OT - Gemeinhardt flutes

Post by Ceara »

This is kinda off topic, but I'm having a hard time finding this information anywhere.

I have a Gemeinhardt flute, and I was told by a friend of mine that a professor of music at McGill University in Montreal and someone at Twigg repair shop in Montreal said my flute has some value. This was a total shock to me (although a happy shock) and I need to verify this information for insurance purposes if this is the case. I sent a message to the Gemeinhardt company and have yet to receive a response, and it has been a while.

I was hoping some of you might know where I could get information on these flutes to trace serial numbers to find out what year my flute was made and if indeed it does have value. It seems too good to be true.

I know this seems odd and that I should know my instrument, but I bought this flute at an antique shop a few years ago, and it was not in good playing condition, so I had it sent off to be repaired. Next thing I heard was that the flute has collector value.

Thanks in advance!

Ceara
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

It all depends on when the flute was made, and what model.

Some of the high-end Gemeinhardts used to be hand-made and they do indeed have some value now.

Also some of them play quite nicely.

--James
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

Hmmmmmm. I wonder what repairs you had. Often an antique instrument is worth more in original unplayable condition than with brand new thises and thats that make it a mongrel in the eyes of collectors.
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I'd suggest the first place to start would be by contacting Gemeinhardt directly - most manufacturers of high end musical instruments will be happy to give you additional info, and sometimes can give you an estimated value of an older instrument once you provide them with the serial number, or at least they will be able to suggest where to check for a blue-book value.

Good luck!

Loren
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

I also have an old Geminhardt flute,and I have wondered about just how old it is,and if maybe it was worth anything.If you find out how to find out,could you tell me?Thanks!
-Kelly
Ceara

Post by Ceara »

Thanks for your replies.

The repairs I had made because I didn't have a playable flute, as my original Armstrong is really a piece of crap (beginner model) and doesn't play well at all, but I keep it for sentimental purposes. I realize that value will go down when repairs are made, but it doesn't matter as I needed/wanted a nice instrument that I could play again. They cleaned it through and gave me new pads, corks and springs and custom hole plugs. It plays beautifully now.

I have contacted Gemeinhardt and have yet to receive a reply.

Mine is M3, serial 323XXX, open C, solid silver head, open hole with the regular C foot. From the information I've found online there doesn't seem to be much value for these (auctions starting at $250 US). But why would a music professor freak out over it and tell my friend that someone in Europe wants to buy it? I'm skeptical. I don't want to sell it anyway, just want to be protected in case of fire or theft.

I would like to know what category this flute is considered, i.e. conservatory, etc.

Thanks!!
Ceara
Ravelyn

Post by Ravelyn »

Maybe I shouldn't even post this, because I'm certainly not a savvy dealer in antique flutes, but I'm skeptical that there would be extraordinary value unless your Gemeinhardt is much better than most. They are perfectly good flutes in my limited experience, but not on a par with flutes from companies like Haynes, Powell, Brannen Bros., Louis Lot, or more recently, the better Japanese names and smaller makers like Lillian Burkhart and David Williams. I have a rather old Haynes (which plays beautifully), and I know its age has not given it any greater value.

Also, periodically replacing pads, corks and springs is expected maintenance. If you didn't do that from time to time you'd never be able to play it.
"Go therefore; but leave Hanrahan,
for I need all his mighty memories."
Ceara

Post by Ceara »

I'm very skeptical also, which is why I'm checking. :D Awesome things like that just don't happen to me.

I trust my friend with his information but he is really an exciteable guy, wanting me to get this flute fixed because he wants me to play in the church for him and the community. My first chance to play in public in many years was for the Christmas pageant for the kids. We had a great time and the kids were so cute.

I live in such a small town and I'm sure they appreciate anyone playing music in the church, other than just the 'ol piano/organ. It's something different.

Anyhow I got off topic again. LOL
Dana

Post by Dana »

An old Gemeinhardt with a silver head and plated body shouldn't be too terribly valuable. If it plays really well, it would be worth a few hundred dollars. If it's a plated body, this cuts the value, and may make it less interesting to collectors. The suggestion to call the factory is a good one: You could also take it to a music store that sells band instruments, and get an appraisal for insurance purposes.

There's so much more to an instrument than the appraisal value: I'd say play it and enjoy it!

Dana
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Ravelyn wrote:
Also, periodically replacing pads, corks and springs is expected maintenance. If you didn't do that from time to time you'd never be able to play it.
True, but this is the free market we are talking about. It often doesn't seem to make much economic sense, let alone musical sense. Without having first hand knowledge of the antique flute market, I'm assuming the same principles apply to flutes as apply to instruments I know better.

There are two reasons why instruments rise in value. One is improvement in tone with age and playing (guitars and fiddles) and the other is rarity. Only rises that have to do with improvements in tone will tolerate even essential repairs. Boehm system silver flutes, along with saxophones and trumpets are, as far as I am aware, not reckoned amongst the instruments that improve in tone with age. So the only reason someone would pay big money for one is rarity. These people don't want something to play, they want something to hang on the wall or put in a safe deposit box. Authenticity not playability is what they want.

I know this sounds perverse. What do you do if you find a pre-war Martin guitar with a beautiful tone but a difficult action and in need of repair? Well, it's simple. If you want to play it, take it to a first rate luthier and have the repairs done as authentically as is compatible with the improvements in playability you desire. On the other hand, if you want it for its rarity and authenticity, leave it as it is.
glauber

Post by glauber »

dhigbee wrote:There's so much more to an instrument than the appraisal value: I'd say play it and enjoy it!
That's my humble opinion too. In fact, the more i play flute, the more i'm convinced that the connection between quality and price in flutes is a fairly loose one. Paying the big bucks will give you a great flute more consistently, but a cheap flute can be equally great sometimes. And remember there's always the option of adding a custom handmade headjoint to give that old flute new life.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Something else to remember, about the maintenance you had done:

A "just ok" flute that has been carefully padded, corked, and adjusted will easily outplay a phenomenally good flute that has unseated and ill-adjusted keywork.

The other catch on Boehm-system flutes: just because it's adjusted right now doesn't mean it'll stay that way. I'd recommend getting your instrument checked at least twice a year by a good repairman for a clean- and-adjust, or anytime it just doesn't seem to play well.

Brand new pads sometimes take time to "settle" and the seating may change slightly a few months down the road. This is normal and usually stabilizes after that.

--James
Ravelyn

Post by Ravelyn »

peeplj wrote:Brand new pads sometimes take time to "settle" and the seating may change slightly a few months down the road. This is normal and usually stabilizes after that.
I have found that to be true. Bring your flute back for readjustment after several months of playing. It's like having that new flute feeling yet a second time.
"Go therefore; but leave Hanrahan,
for I need all his mighty memories."