Lost flutes.. inquiring minds want to know

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
clark
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Post by clark »

gcollins,

I'm sure we are all dying to know whether the guy in Cleveland is going to trade your flutes for his lightbulbs! Did he return your call? If I lived in Cleveland maybe I would leave town for good with the flutes. No, this time of year I would leave town even without the flutes.

Clark
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Yeah really, what's the scoop? The suspense is killing me!
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

The flutes, I am happy to say, arrived safely to me today. Thank goodness. Whew.
And they're in fine condition. Seems the fellow who received them erroneously was a former woodwind player and realized how careful to be with them.
And the new owner of the Olwell will be pleased, too. And let me say, greg wasn't kidding at all. It's an awesome flute.....powerful and full in every way.
And one quick note, I've got a client sending me a keyless McGee Rudall-style flute for sale, if anyone is interested.
gcollins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gcollins »

Well folks, the saga is over. And now I kind of miss that Olwell. Dave, send it back, man!!!

If it weren't for the fact that Motorola shut down my production lines today, I would be ecstatic that the flutes arrived safely.

I've been doing the workaholic thing lately, and haven't yet given you guys my review of the flute that even I was willing to sacrifice my Olwell for. It's coming soon.

Thanks, Clark, for the concern. I was about to ask you to fly to GE in Cleveland to get those flutes back.

Regards,
G
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Whew, Glad to hear the flutes made it to David safely!

G.,

You are sooo going to regret giving up that Olwell....What WERE you thinking dude? BTW, hope that shut down isn't a long term thing...

David,

I don't suppose you can tell people where they lie on the waiting list for Terry's RAF? I'm wondering whether I've got weeks or months to wait before I get a crack at that puppy.

Loren
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

Funny you should ask, Loren!
I was compiling the waiting list this morning to notify the first 4 candidates of the impending arrival. I've decided for the moment to allow the flute to travel for a month at a time, then return to me for maintenance, etc, before heading adrift again.
You are at the moment 22nd on the list. Do the math :smile:
Nice flute, too. Very easy to play.
I'll be posting a special page onto my website this week for the Embassador Flute, where people can read about it and listen to it, see it and get onto the list.
pdunn

Post by pdunn »

David,
I would be interested in the new Mcgee Rudall you mentioned? Please email me with info, price? If I can afford it I'll buy it.
My email is pdunn@marlboro.edu
Thanks,
Patrick dunn
gcollins

Post by gcollins »

Loren:

I may regret giving up that Olwell, but I can't even tell you about the tone of the 8-key Rudall with the Wilkes head. I don't play the very cool Patent head, as the Wilkes head brings the flute nicely in tune...and the tone!!! I keep the Patent head, just to dabble with from time to time and to show in the original case with the signed certificate. Kind of like a interestingly useful antique investment.

I always wondered about the peculiarity of listening to Kevin Crawford doing cuts on the Grinter he has. I could never get this kind of response from the Olwell--such a different flute. And now I understand--the responsiveness of R&R flute, and the complexity of tone (that funky characteristic where you can hear a reediness/woodiness/purity in the same tone, even in the upper octaves--yes not upper octave, OCTAVES--it is amazing on a good embouchure day).

After playing this flute for awhile, I am convinced that the modern makers of R&R copies are, in a way, re-learning the art of making flutes. Could be the age or experience, if you will, of the Cocus wood and the design. I don't know. But for a solo player of a flute--it really is fabulous.

Having said that, if I were playing in sessions, I'd want to play an Olwell for the kick ass reels with other instruments, and the R&R for blowing people away in solo performances or with one other instrument, like guitar (my favorite combo).

Then I'd pull out my Olwell Bb to pull a Malloy-like Drowsy Maggie or Heathery Breeze (some day when I have that...)

Such is life...we'll see how this develops and if I ever get a keyed Olwell...