Gotta get this fife working

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Rab
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Rab »

Late last night, I was handed two "five key" fifes that havent been played for the past couple of years. On quick inspection they looked o.k. I tried to play one and had difficulty in the upper octave. Does it just need blown in or what ??
I think they are hardwood, or maybe polymer - hard to tell....after a few beers. I'm expected to play for a crowd of people tomorrow.
Any ideas on how I can quickly get a sweet sound, apart from asking someone decent to play ??????

P.S. Any notes I did get required me to nearly blow a hole in it.
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

More Ottawa people, neat.

It'd be good to know what you've been able to do with fifes or flutes in the past, so we know if you've got a persnickety instrument or have no idea how to get a sound out of one at all. :smile:

<ul>-Rich</ul>
Rab

Post by Rab »

I played a fife in few different marching bands for 5 or 6 years . A little ignorant musically, but could play practically anything by ear. I've played loads of different types of Fifes, but not for many years.
I tried one of them again tonight - too much hassle, a little improvement, but not worth the bother.
I ended up going back to my whistles.
They definitely need some sort of attention, as I've recently played similar flutes quite easily.
I would love to stay in and maybe work at it a little, however, I'm an Irishman, and have another "seriously important" type of session lined up tonight.

Any comments would be gratefully accepted.
Rab

Post by Rab »

Update:
The flutes are:
1. Matchetts of Belfast
2. Miller Brown of London
Messing around this morning and have got one of them playing every note reasonably, it's amazing what the assistance of a hairdyrer can do, although High D, E, F & G are a bit of effort. (Keep in mind that these notes are actually in the third octave, or somewhere excruciatingly high)

I think I will "tinker" until I get them both reasonable, however, I have no desire to hold on to them. I will give them back to their owner. Must think of the neighbours, and my own eardrums.

Having spent the past few months rediscovering the joys of whistling, I think I will wait until my tune repertoire increases and then purchase an Irish flute.

On the subject of Irish flutes.
I am soon to return to live in Belfast, approx Easter. Is it best to buy a flute here in Canada, or are they cheaper, in Ireland.
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

I'd be <i>very</i> surprised if the punt is in a worse situation than the loonie right now, and if you're thinking of buying from an Irish maker, there won't be import taxes and duty in Ireland.

<ul>-Rich</ul>