It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2001 11:54 am 

Late last night, I was handed two "five key" fifes that havent been played for the past couple of years. On quick inspection they looked o.k. I tried to play one and had difficulty in the upper octave. Does it just need blown in or what ??
I think they are hardwood, or maybe polymer - hard to tell....after a few beers. I'm expected to play for a crowd of people tomorrow.
Any ideas on how I can quickly get a sweet sound, apart from asking someone decent to play ??????

P.S. Any notes I did get required me to nearly blow a hole in it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2001 3:11 pm 
i see what you did there

More Ottawa people, neat.

It'd be good to know what you've been able to do with fifes or flutes in the past, so we know if you've got a persnickety instrument or have no idea how to get a sound out of one at all. :smile:

<ul>-Rich</ul>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2001 7:12 pm 

I played a fife in few different marching bands for 5 or 6 years . A little ignorant musically, but could play practically anything by ear. I've played loads of different types of Fifes, but not for many years.
I tried one of them again tonight - too much hassle, a little improvement, but not worth the bother.
I ended up going back to my whistles.
They definitely need some sort of attention, as I've recently played similar flutes quite easily.
I would love to stay in and maybe work at it a little, however, I'm an Irishman, and have another "seriously important" type of session lined up tonight.

Any comments would be gratefully accepted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2001 9:53 am 

Update:
The flutes are:
1. Matchetts of Belfast
2. Miller Brown of London
Messing around this morning and have got one of them playing every note reasonably, it's amazing what the assistance of a hairdyrer can do, although High D, E, F & G are a bit of effort. (Keep in mind that these notes are actually in the third octave, or somewhere excruciatingly high)

I think I will "tinker" until I get them both reasonable, however, I have no desire to hold on to them. I will give them back to their owner. Must think of the neighbours, and my own eardrums.

Having spent the past few months rediscovering the joys of whistling, I think I will wait until my tune repertoire increases and then purchase an Irish flute.

On the subject of Irish flutes.
I am soon to return to live in Belfast, approx Easter. Is it best to buy a flute here in Canada, or are they cheaper, in Ireland.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2001 4:37 pm 
i see what you did there

I'd be <i>very</i> surprised if the punt is in a worse situation than the loonie right now, and if you're thinking of buying from an Irish maker, there won't be import taxes and duty in Ireland.

<ul>-Rich</ul>