newer keyed flute comparisons

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
pengle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by pengle »

I'm new to this forum and have been playing one-keyed flutes (older M. Copeland and Burns models) and silver Boehm classical flutes for many years. I'm considering purchasing a five or six-keyed flute for Irish and Scottish music and wondering about how the models by Olwood, Copley, Noy, Healy and other makers compare since I haven't had a chance to try any of them. Also, I'd appreciate hearing about good used flutes for sale either newer or restored older model.
gcollins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gcollins »

Have you seen the flutes on http://www.fyfer-restorations.com? David Migoya is a real pro and finds quite good flutes.

Getting new keyed flutes can require waiting for at least 2 years from most of the makers that are well known. Olwell and Grinter and Wilkes...forget it, the wait is very very long. Obviously they are great flutes.

I'm not sure if Copely is making keyed flutes right now, but he gets great reviews and value. Personally, if you want an awesome keyed flute, Peter Noy can get a beautiful flute to you in 6 months. Very, very impressive flutes.

Skip Healy can also get you a keyed flute very quickly, and they are also very solid flutes, though a little less Trad in appearance and tone. Good flutes though.