Tom Glanley Flutes and Whistles

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
StevePower
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by StevePower »

I have been speaking to Mr Tom Ganley, renowned wooden flute and whistle maker from Co. Rosscommon, Ireland. Tom has asked me to tell enquirers that due to a recent illness, he has considerably reduced his flute and whistle production. There are still some available via the usual dealers (in the US and Ireland) but he is not yet making for new orders.

Tom hopes to be back to full strength around the Autumn (Fall). He is not, regretably, in a position to receive enquiries directly from new customers at this stage.

I will be keeping in touch with Tom, at his request, and will let you all know when the situation changes.

Take care

Steve Power
bruce_b

Post by bruce_b »

Steve,
I've seen Tom Ganley's name in makers lists, but I've never seen or heard one. Could you tell us more about his instruments?
Any pictures? I don't think there are many of his instruments over here in the USA.
Bruce Boysen
currently in northern NJ, considering a move to northern Ca.
Hobbies: Irish Trad, wooden flutes & concertinas, mountain biking, hiking & kayaking.
jgrogers

Post by jgrogers »

I have one of Tom's flutes. It's a keyless, 3 piece with a tuning slide. I still can't play it well, but experienced players that have tried it, agree that is was a great deal at the price I paid in Ireland while on tour.
John R
pdunn

Post by pdunn »

I have a Ganley flute that I bought in 1996. It was my first flute, and I still play it daily. It's not the easiest or best playing flute out there, and it's been called a table leg by a few of my flute playing companions. It will play extremely well when warmed up and with a very tight lip. It is not loud, I would recommend it to a beginner with patience who is interested in a tight lip.
ChrisLaughlin
antispam: No

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Um... I hate to say it, but all the comments I've heard about these flutes on the Woodenflute mailing list have been overwhelmingly negative. I was also in a flute workshop with Kevin Crawford and one of the students had a Ganley flute and Kevin basically told her that it was piece of junk and that she was wasting her time on it and should get a new flute as soon as possible. There is a girl who plays in my session who got one and let me give it a go. In my opionion it is just horrible, but I didn't have the nerve to tell her that she'd wasted her money. My 2 cents.