Not-too-Jazzy-but-yet-improvised IrTrad flute CD?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Tak_the_whistler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Not-too-Jazzy-but-yet-improvised IrTrad flute CD?

Post by Tak_the_whistler »

....could anyone please recommend such flute CD?
I come much from jazz/fusion tradition (used to play saxophone before diagnosed with That Hideous Hernia) and took up whistles about a 1 1/2 year ago, and so I tend to looking for something that's Fused (McGoldrick?) without being too much jazzy. "Moderately jazzy" is the taste I'm after, I think..

Thanks,
<><
Tak
---------------------------------------
<b>"Nothing can be yours by nature."</b>
--- Lewis
spittle
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by spittle »

Well, 'Fused' is an excellent album along that line as you've already noted. The band FLOOK immediately comes to mind as well. Their latest album Rubai is positively dripping with musical talent, while most of the band comes from traditional roots, their tunes have a wide area of influence - jazz being one of the more prominent.

Regards,
- Ryan

P.S. after thinking more, I would probably say FLOOK is a little less jazzy than Mike McGoldrick's ablum - more of a 'world' sorta flavor. But the jazz element is definitely there.
fluter_d

Post by fluter_d »

Try to find Niall Keegan's solo album, Don't Touch The Elk (see http://www.ul.ie/~iwmc/nk/ ). He's one of the main coordinators at the Irish World Music Centre, and has been playing what he calls 'Hiberno-Jazz' for the last number of years. His cd consists of a lot of different tunes - some recently-composed, but also some good old session tunes - but some of his variations are incredible, and along the general lines of jazz improv. If you're looking for something jazzy, this might be a good option. Be warned though - he has a fully-keyed flute, and uses EVERY ONE of those keys in the course of this cd (and sometimes in the course of one tune).
Deirdre
Michel

Post by Michel »

Try to find Grada's album "Endeavour".Their repertoire is formed
mainly by newly composed jazzy tunes. Alan Doherty is the most
freakin' awesome improviser on flute and whistles I've ever heard.
Search also Cormac Breatnach cd's.And Calico, even if their sound
is more hypnotic-breton-inspired than jazzy. Some of the tunes played
by Mick McGoldrick on "Fused" are composed by Diarmuid Moynihan,
who is a member of Calico (and a great piper too!).
glauber

Post by glauber »

Or for something completely different, Afro-Celtic Sound System, for merciless brain bashing. I second the Nial Keegan; he's simply an unbelievable player.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Henke
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

I don't know if I'm way-way off here, but the first thing that came to mind when listening to Phil Hardy's latest cd was slow-soft jazz. You have probably already got it since he gives them away for free, but I tought I might as well check with you.