Catherine McEvoy on RTE's "The Late Session"

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
johnkerr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Catherine McEvoy on RTE's "The Late Session"

Post by johnkerr »

Hey, all you Catherine McEvoy fans! (And I know you're out there...) Give a listen to the latest edition of RTE's weekly program "The Late Session", which features a live performance by Catherine accompanied by her sister-in-law Jacinta McGorman on guitar. Catherine plays several sets of jigs and reels as well as a lovely rendition of the air "The Wounded Hussar", which she says she learned from the singing of the great Dublin singer Frank Harte. All together you'll hear about 15-20 minutes of live Catherine before the show moves on to its next guest, fiddler Zoe Conway.

The URL for the streaming audio of "The Late Session" is http://www.rte.ie/radio1/weekend/latesession/ . RTE doesn't archive these shows, but only leaves them up until they are replaced by the next new edition of the show, which I think will be next Sunday, Oct 26th. So don't delay!
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Thanks for posting that, John, I can't wait to hear it!

Catherine and her brother John McEvoy have recorded a duet flute-fiddle CD that should be coming out sometime next year...this will tide me over 'til then.
fancypiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

If you have a slow connection like me and have difficulty listening to the stream, here are some download links.

Ceili House
The Late Session

Download, then open in your multimedia player.
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

fancypiper wrote:If you have a slow connection like me and have difficulty listening to the stream, here are some download links.

Ceili House
The Late Session

Download, then open in your multimedia player.
Has anyone successfully downloaded the late session link? I was able to grab the Ceili file last night but can't get the second.

thanks,
Eddie
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

I've been waiting for that Catherine and John McEvoy CD for a while myself, Brad. When I saw Catherine at Willie Week 2001, she told me that Felix Dolan was coming over later that summer to go into the studio with them. Then when I saw her next, at Gaelic Roots 2002, she told me that they'd recorded the CD and all that was left to do was the sleeve notes, packaging, etc. So I was hoping then that it wouldn't be long. But when I saw Catherine again this past August at the Feakle Festival, she told me that there hadn't been any progress beyond where things were the previous summer. I told her to get the lead out (well, not in so many words :->), as we are all waiting for it. Hopefully she heard my plea!
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

I tried the Late Session download link when Phil posted it to the Irtrad list, but it didn't work for me. That's why I went to the stream, which did work.
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

johnkerr wrote:I tried the Late Session download link when Phil posted it to the Irtrad list, but it didn't work for me. That's why I went to the stream, which did work.
The stream worked for me too, I was just hoping to snarf a copy. :D

Eddie
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

johnkerr wrote:But when I saw Catherine again this past August at the Feakle Festival, she told me that there hadn't been any progress beyond where things were the previous summer.!
I'd heard that she and John were less than happy with a few of the tracks, or maybe it was something with the recording quality, and that they had to go back to the studio to re-do a few things; I thought that's what was holding things up. But whatever...it'll be worth the wait, however long it takes!

I just listened to the concert, great stuff and I really like that tune her brother composed.
U2

Wonderful

Post by U2 »

Thanks very much for posting the notice. Lovely playing indeed.
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

johnkerr wrote:I tried the Late Session download link when Phil posted it to the Irtrad list, but it didn't work for me. That's why I went to the stream, which did work.
Darn. They have changed it and I can't find the ra files now. It took ages for me to find them before.

I guess I will have to read up on saving streamed realaudio.
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

Oooh Catherine McEvoy clips and CDs.. *swoons*
lesl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm Lesl, I teach and play Irish flute. Just updating my web address. Thank you for reading this!

Post by lesl »

I listened to her on the Late Session and it was great! It was very
interesting to hear what she did with tunes I was familiar with. What a
take on the Caucus Reel!

Also Zoe Conway following, was really good. Though some of what she
played was not trad.

I couldn't get Ceili House to stream after the intro, it just hung up in pause.
Michel

Post by Michel »

Caucus reel is a nice flute tune indeed,do you know who composed it?
lesl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm Lesl, I teach and play Irish flute. Just updating my web address. Thank you for reading this!

Post by lesl »

yes Jean Duval from Canada composed it, and our "brother Steve" from
Chiff gave it the name. .
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Jean has composed a lot of excellent tunes, many of which get played here in sessions in Montreal.

He recently put out a booklet of "suites" that he composed for the tin whistle, all of which are played with just one hand! He composed some of them while driving his car. You use the top four fingers on the whistle. Amazing stuff. Jean's a great flute player as well.