Olwell bamboo D

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
tin tin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Olwell bamboo D

Post by tin tin »

Anyone interested in selling? With skillful persuasion, I could possibly be convinced to trade a Sindt D.
Micah
Update: I went to the source and ordered one.
Last edited by tin tin on Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
thurlowe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by thurlowe »

I'll let mine go, in exchange for an Altus flute... Kidding. Obviously.

My first thought was wow! I really want to play a Sindt. My second was, "I can't do without the bamboo flute, though." Which surprised me, as I have an Olwell blackwood to play. My third was, "hey, you placed an order for Sindts last month, dummy."

I know you are a serious player. I think you are wise to seek the Olwell bamboo. It has special qualities that make it a complement, not an inferior wannabe, to an Olwell hardwood flute.

If you need the flute for a special reason and can't get ahold of one, I'd be happy to loan you mine for a time while you loan out the Sindt to me.

Cara
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

I don't think there's much of a wait for ordering a bamboo D flute directly from Patrick. One of my flute students just got one a couple of weeks ago, and only had to wait 2-3 weeks for it. It's a nice flute; I have one in C but had never tried the D before.
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Sounds like an interesting trade you propose, Cara. Hmmm...
I came close to selling my Altus in order to finance a wood flute, but then just couldn't quite do it. Playing Irish music on it is actually not shabby, and it's sometimes handy to be able to dip down to C# or B. But at any rate, I'd like to also have a simple system flute to play, and being tight on funds, an Olwell bamboo seems like the way to go for now.
Micah
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Hi, Micah. I think you'll find the Olwell bamboo to be much more responsive than the Dixon 3-piece I bought from you. The Dixon is kind of an "automatic tone" flute whereas it's easier to find different timbers and colors on the Olwell bamboo.

Cheers,
Aaron
tin tin

Post by tin tin »

Sounds good, Aaron.
After a couple days of trying, I just got ahold of Patrick today, so in a month or less I should have it.
Micah
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Would someone who has one be willing to post the distance between holes on the Olwell bamboo flute? I bought a bamboo D flute from Eric the Flutemaker and I cannot make the stretch with the right hand and I have very large hands. I can easily hold a basketball with one hand and I can span an octave on a piano with my thumb and index finger. But the stretch on that flute is a killer. Thanks muchly.
Mike
spittle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by spittle »

Wow Mike - Erik's D Bamboo's must have quite the reach! I don't have my Olwell D on me, but I don't have large hands, can't palm a basketball but can make the reach on the flute just fine.

Going from a Bb fife to the D Bamboo was a stretch I never thought I'd be able to make, but for a couple months now, I've be slapping that D hole without even thinking. Good luck!

Regards,
- Ryan
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Patrick does offset the holes a bit. Erics flutes as well as Sunreed are a real stretch when it comes to the D. I have a Sunreed D and another make C (totaly beautiful flute by the way) and the stretch is impossible for me. But both flutes have a great sound so I play the bell note with my right pinky. It only takes a few minutes to get used to and was certanly worth the effort for these two flutes. My Olwell F is a sinch by the way and what a sweatheart it is.
Good Luck

Tom