Breton Flautists?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
spittle
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Breton Flautists?

Post by spittle »

Being a huge Jean-Michel Veillon fan, and loving the Breton tradition (my first exposure to 'tradtional Celtic music' was Kornog), I was wondering if there are any other flute players from Brittany (or anywhere, really) who have recordings out there of traditional Breton music?

I know John Skelton is a big proponent of Breton music, and I assume Desi Wilkinson is also, being fast friends with J-M Veillon. Is there signifigant Breton material on any of their CD's? Any other players, I haven't heard of?

Thanks!
- Ryan
bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bradhurley »

There are quite a few really excellent flute players in Brittany. There was a compilation CD, Bro Dreger VII, put out some years back that featured some of the leading flute players in Brittany at the time.

Apart from Sylvain Barou, who hangs out here on Chiff and Fipple occasionally, two of the names that come immediately to mind are:

Jean-Luc Thomas: amazing, innovative flute player who lives near Jean-Michel Veillon in northern Brittany; has recorded with the groups Dibenn and Hastan and his own wild solo CD Kej (not much of it traditional Breton but an enjoyably bizarre and frequently breathtaking experience to listen to). He's also recorded on "Flute 4," a flute quartet album with Jean-Michel Veillon...I'm not sure if that's been released yet but I heard a couple of tracks last year and it's great. More info about Jean-Luc Thomas at:

http://jlt.stalig.com/

Yann Cariou: another fantastic flute player, has recorded with the band Kurun.
Last edited by bradhurley on Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

John Skelton plays a couple of Breton tunes on his newest CD (Double-Barreled). He's joined by Kieran O'Hare for some great flute duets.

Skelton also played in The House Band, and most of their albums have a Breton flavor, and are worth having (IMO, anyway). John plays both flute and bombarde on these albums.

If I could sound like Veillon does on his album Beo!, I'd be a happy, happy man . . .

Interested to hear what others have to say, too; I wish Breton music were more readily available in the U.S.

--Aaron
Last edited by herbivore12 on Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

herbivore12 wrote:I wish Breton music were more readily available in the U.S.
Dusty Strings, near Seattle (in Fremont), has a very good selection of Breton music and I think they do mail order. That's the best source I've found, although Elderly Instruments also had a good selection last time I checked.
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

bradhurley wrote: Dusty Strings, near Seattle (in Fremont), has a very good selection of Breton music and I think they do mail order. That's the best source I've found, although Elderly Instruments also had a good selection last time I checked.
Thanks. Might be the excuse I need to order Kevin's Seattle-area tunebook from Dusty Strings; just tack it to a CD order!
spittle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by spittle »

Thanks guys! I know Dusty Strings has an amazing selection - now I know who to look for specifically!

Please everyone, don't stop there if you have other suggestions!

Regards,
- Ryan

P.S. I have that live album herbivore and WOW :o is what usually comes to mind
andrew

Post by andrew »

Jean - Michel is the only person I have come across who can go from the bottom of the flute to the top in one note , (even when sober ).I shall ask him if he will favour us with his recommendations .He must have a couple of hundred fluty followers .
Jon C.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Just listening to Kornog on the way home tonight! :o Great flute music!
Jon
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

If you're interested in history, Alain Kloatr was one of the first to bring transverse wooden flute into Breton music. He didn't delve into it as deep as JMV though. You can hear samples on early Alan Stivell albums which can get you into the whole "Breton Revival" frame of mind.

Cheers,
Aaron