FIRST TAKE ON THE LEHART KEYLESS

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Blackbeer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

FIRST TAKE ON THE LEHART KEYLESS

Post by Blackbeer »

Well this has been one heck of a last 30 days. Four, count them, four new flutes. Surely I have died and gone to heaven. The list is as follows:

Sunreed bamboo in D
Olwell bamboo in F
Old 8 key in Eb
Lehart keyless in D

When I first put the Lehart together and tried playing it I was agast at my inability to get a clear tone out of it. What have I done? Am I just kidding myself about ever being a flute player. Well adjustments to my lips brought about the most incredable sounds I have ever made on a stick with holes in it. What a monster this flute is. Not for the timid I would say. Honkin bottom end, crisp clear top end. This flute will take me where ever I want to go. Boy do I have some work to do. This IS a tool for what ever you want to play. The flute itself is a work of art. The copper rings are very cool. The tuning slide is silky smooth, the finger holes are quite large and the flute is LOUD. But you don`t have to honk on it. It can be sweet but heck who needs that. This is, of course, my first killer flute and may be my last as I can`t ever see out growing it.
It has also shown me what a great flute my little old Dixon rosewood is.
Now of course I have played the Dixon for at least 8 or 9 months so I am use to it but hey it is a great flute for the money.
I had them all lined up yesterday, my Dixon my old 8 key and the Lehart.
What a treasure. I was comparing workmanship and got a little supprise when I checked the bore of all three. The Dixon was the least smooth followed by the Lehart. The most highly finished bore belonged to the old 8 key. Just an interesting aside.
Anyway to say I am happy with the Lehart is an understatment. We are going to be very good friends. The hardest thing about this rain of flutes is the fact that I will now have to consintrate on the Lehart which will mean less time on the Olwell and Sunreed and the Dixon and the old 8 key. And they all sound grand and are great fun to play. Life is truely a struggle.......................

Tom

I could do a bamboo flute review if anyone wants one. The Sunreed is a supprisingly good flute and of course the Olwell is well an Olwell
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Blackbeer wrote:Life is truely a struggle.......................
...I weep for you. :lol:

Too cool, Tom! Play 'em all just to keep them happy.
spittle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by spittle »

wow, thanks Tom! Puts shivers down my spine just reading (as it no doubt does yourself playing :D).

My bamboo Olwell is teaching me new things everyday, but I can't imagine the tremulous and anticipatory glee I will face when my first wood flute rests in my hands and beckons for its limits to be tested!

Pictures would be great sometime and a longer-term report as well ;)

Regards,
- Ryan

(I'll second that request for pictures and long-term impressions for Jim Stone's new Copley!)
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Congratulations. I have the idea that
rosewood flutes look less polished inside
because of the grain of the wood, which
one sees looking in. Best
cquick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

I'm glad!

Post by cquick »

I purchased my LeHart direct from Gilles in March - I found, as you did, that the instrument is just like a race horse in the starting gate, in that the sound is just waiting to be brought forth.

I'm quite sure that you will derive as much pleasure from your instrument as I am getting out of mine.

Happy Tooting

Chuck :)
brianormond
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by brianormond »

-Yikes! The LeHart and a newly freed slide on your keyed flute too. O'good fortune, Blackbeer is thy name!

Best to you,