Wind on the Bay

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
beowulf573
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Wind on the Bay

Post by beowulf573 »

Man, what a great time. It's going to take me a year to absorb everything I learned and probably about the same amount of time to recover. :boggle: There's nothing like sitting three feet from John Skelton and Skip Healy as they blasted away.

I'll put pics and notes up late this week on my website.

It was great meeting everyone (a few from C&F) and an extra-special thanks to Sue (who I don't think is on C&F) for bringing the coffee Sunday morning. It was desparately needed and much appreciated.

Eddie
Peach

Post by Peach »

Now thats were you'd be wrong, Eddie...I am on C & F - although mostly a lurker! And as for the coffee - you're most welcome! After the Saturday night/Sunday morning session I knew it would be needed!

So...how is the new flute? Have you had a chance to really play it on your own and see what it can do? Keep us posted!

I think the greatest thing I heard all weekend was right after SKip's beginner flute class. Someone said, " Up until now I was a bit intimidated by this thing (meaning the flute) - but NOT anymore!"

My ears are still ringing, but I blame the bombard in the armory for that one!

Keep in touch, Eddie!

Sue
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

Umm, yes, I guess I should mention that Skip Healy is an evil, vile man who locked me in his workshop, tied me to a chair, and forced me to watch old episodes of "My Mother, the Car" until I bought a keyed flute from him.

That's my story and I sticking to it, and I'd appreciate anyone who meets my girlfriend telling her the same.

Wicked, wicked man.

Very nice flute. Very nice.

So now I have a Copley keyless and a keyed Healy, I think I'm done buying flutes for <b>long</b> time. Er, um, unless a really good deal comes along.

Eddie
brad maloney
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by brad maloney »

It was fun & went too quickly. Always a blast :) Beo Where'd you post the evidence? *er, um* I mean Pictures?

BTW I listened to John & Keiran's album today (Double Barrelled) & it is as good as I thought it would be.
Play Happy
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

brad maloney wrote:It was fun & went too quickly. Always a blast :) Beo Where'd you post the evidence? *er, um* I mean Pictures?
I haven't yet, I'll try to put them up by Thursday. See my www link below.

Geesh, I still need more sleep.

Eddie
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

As promised, pictures.

<a href="http://www.heorot.org/blog/archives/cat ... html">Wind on the Bay 2003</a>

The next and previous links don't seem to be working, so use this index page.

A big thanks to Skip Healy and crew, and to the instructors and all the folks I met. I had an indescribably good time. It's going to take me a year to absorb everything.

Eddie
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Somebody! Give that "Leftover Spouse" a comb and a piece of tissue paper!!!

Mary
brad maloney

Post by brad maloney »

Or at least a bodhran :lol:

The pictures are great.
Play Happy
Henke

Post by Henke »

Where was this wind on the bay? I really wish I could have been there. Seems like you had a great time everyone. I don't meet a lot of like minded people where I live and study. A couple of vicious fiddlers, even more vicious guitar players and drummers and the like. I really need to hang out more with people who play's my type of instruments. I feel like it could give me a lot, both enjoyment and fun but also hints and advices on playing which I am in desperate need of.
Cheers
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

It was in Rhode Island at Skip Healy's Workshop. See <a href="http://windonthebay.com/">here</a>. I had a great time and picked up a lot of useful tips.

I have the same problem where there are only a few folks in my area interested in Irish music and no one who has time to teach flute. Classes like these are enourmously helpful.

Eddie
rhodeirish

Post by rhodeirish »

Hi there,

Skip, myself, and everyone else who helped with Wind On The Bay were really happy with this year's event. The feedback we've received has been really positive. We're already looking forward to and planning the 2004 event (announcements to come).

We should be just about recovered from WOTB 2003 by next October...

If you haven't had a chance to look at Ed's pictures then don't hesitate. It's great stuff. I'm going to try to get a gallery of the pictures I took throughout the weekend on <a href="http://www.windonthebay.com" target="_blank">Windonthebay.com</a> by this weekend. I'll fire off an additional notice when I do.

I hope you're all doing great and I'll see you around!

John Harvey
WHO MADE MY FLUTE?
http://www.skiphealy.com/
==
WHAT DO I DO WHEN NOT FLUTING?
Visit Horror Author John D. Harvey
http://www.johndharvey.com/
==
LOOKING FOR IRISH NEWS / EVENTS IN RHODE ISLAND?
http://www.rhodeirish.net/