going to low D

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
phcook
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

going to low D

Post by phcook »

Well' I often have a problem when going from second octave to low D; there's a delay in response, and I've trouble with getting a clear sound immediately.

Can anybody help?

Thanks

Philippe
MurphyStout

Post by MurphyStout »

Practise, practise, practise.

Sorry but that's all I have to offer. You can try and play long notes on the D and try to get a nice stable tone out. Once you can do that very well (cause if you can't do that and try to move on you're wasting your time), then try playing different sets of notes that start on the D go up and go back to D.

So for instances just practise playing DEDFDGDADBDCDGDEDADFDBD.... and so on in any order but focus on maintaining a good solid tone with out lapses. Do it slow at first until you can do it successfully and then speed up if you wish.

Once you have the lower octave mastered, then try the same but alternate the notes between octaves. (Make sure you can move around in the upper octave well without problems as well... and if you can't do what you were doing in the lower octave with the upper) So play something like DdDgDeDaDfDCDbD.... and so on...

It is hard and it will take lots of practise, practise, practise. Embouchure developement is hard and it takes years to develope so keep at it.
No I'm not returning...
phcook

Post by phcook »

Thanks!

If you have any other special exercise, please let me know..

Philippe
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

If you mean you're going from the second-octave D directly to the first-octave D, there is a trick: you should add a very brief stop between the two notes. I glottal-stop the end of the second-octave D, and then attack the low D afresh. Kevin Crawford described this technique in a workshop he gave some years back in Somerville, Massachusetts at the Burren Pub He played a recently composed tune that he later recorded with Lunasa, I think it was called the Almost Reel, and there are a couple of tricky places where you have to drop exactly one octave down. He talked about the need to "stop in mid-flight" to get the lower note.

Doing it correctly takes some practice, and doing it at dance tempo takes more practice still!
tol-timpinen

RE: Low D

Post by tol-timpinen »

I'm not all that great of a player, but I've found it easiest to just adjust my embouchure when I'm switching octaves; by narrowing the airstream and directing it slightly higher, I can usually jump up and hit a clear note with little or no pause, and it really doesn't take any time once you get used to it...