David Migoya's 1857 Metzler

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eskin »

Hi y'all,

I recently took delivery of David Migoya's 1857 Metzler. What a lovely instrument, I was so glad that Dave was willing to sell it to me. He's been very informative and great to deal with. I'm very pleased with the condition of the flute as well as the quality of the restoration work.

The 1857 Metzler is an interesting and quite lovely looking flute, with all the silver key and fingerhole ring work, plus an engraved lip plate. After having played a keyless Copeland, which required considerable air, it took me a few days to really get a solid tone on the Metzler, its just a completely different beast.

I'm curious if anyone else has a Metzler, I've seen a couple that had very similar keywork (there is one at the Lark in the Morning in S.F.) but no name markings. I think this instrument is quite good, not as loud as a session-optimized modern instrument, but has a great tone and is very well balanced across the octaves.

Cheers,

Michael Eskin