The NEW new Lunasa CD Redwood

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Tradman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Ready to be a decent flute player again! I took a break of about 17 years and it's been way too long.

The NEW new Lunasa CD Redwood

Post by Tradman »

Well, yesterday I recieved a copy of the newest Lunasa CD, the one that you can only get from the lads themselves, and I have a few comments/questions.

The cover is similar and liner notes are way different than what Green Linnet distributes, (which is now corrected according to lunasa.ie) but the CD looks exactly the same, even bearing "GL1224" with the four little parrots or some kinda bird that's on most Green Linnet cds.

Now, I bought this for several reasons:

1) I wanted to see the correct artwork-and now like it-very different
2) Im a music collector and it was worth paying for a second slightly different product seeing how they were in a war with G.L.
3) I really wanted to see if I could hear a difference in audio quality.
4) I simply love Lunasa, although this isnt my favorite album at all from them

I do like the new artwork but so far it's hard to tell the difference in sound quality. It does seem 'lighter' and I got that impression from the first track because I remember thinking on the first cd of "Redwood" that the guitar needed a little less 'lows' on the EQ and that did seem different or lighter on the new cd.

Anybody else got it or heard the newest version?

not to mention, the package had a signature of "Crawford" on the shipping seal from them that certifies no harmful material is contained within...
Eric T
Waycross, GA USA
Dave Copley 6 Key
Ormiston Keyless
Roy MacManus blackwood high- D
Sindt high- D
Various Chieftain Low Whistles
spittle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by spittle »

Wasn't even aware of a different pressing! Is there more info on their website then? This sounds more like what I want - wish I'd known about it BEFORE I bought my copy from GL!! :sniffle:

Regards,
- Ryan

P.S. Also, one of my favorites (ok, actually they ARE my favorite). As far as I'm concerend none of their albums (fantastic as they are), have the engery or drama of their first release....I want the current band to do a live album :D
Tradman
Tell us something.: Ready to be a decent flute player again! I took a break of about 17 years and it's been way too long.

now I see...

Post by Tradman »

actually after turning it over the sequence number is different for the newer CD. Still not much of a difference but as I listed above, I am a hard core fan and still glad I got it!
johnkerr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by johnkerr »

Those "four little parrots or some kinda bird" on Green Linnet CDs are linnets. That's what a green linnet is - a bird that's found in Ireland, and maybe elsewhere. (I'm no ornithologist, so I can't be sure about how far the species has spread.)

Rumour has it that another lawyer, on behalf of the species, will soon be suing Green Linnet Records for unauthorized use of the birds' images and non-payment of royalties. This will be the real "Green Linnet Five"...
Jens_Hoppe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: The NEW new Lunasa CD Redwood

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Tradman wrote:3) I really wanted to see if I could hear a difference in audio quality.
So, what's your verdict?

Jens
Tradman

Re: The NEW new Lunasa CD Redwood

Post by Tradman »

Jens_Hoppe wrote:
Tradman wrote:3) I really wanted to see if I could hear a difference in audio quality.
So, what's your verdict?

Jens
I havent listened to them back to back BUT it does seem that I did hear a difference in the first track. Before I ever heard of the controversey I always felt the very beginning of the first track's guitar sounded muffled or too basey and when I popped in the new version it did seem lighter but not sure. The lad's comments on their site says the audio is better and I trust them but I just have to sit down with the two disk side by side and listen for differences. Now that I know how to tell the disks apart by looking at the run numbers on the bottom side (look identicle on top) I can do a blind test to see if there is any audible differences.

Will let you know soon.
Eric T
Waycross, GA USA
Dave Copley 6 Key
Ormiston Keyless
Roy MacManus blackwood high- D
Sindt high- D
Various Chieftain Low Whistles