I'm intimidated.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Hi gang. I just received a low D
keyless flute. I know how to hold it
and finger it, cause I've read every
book in the music bookstore and a friend
who plays a wooden flute showed
me how, too. But the thing is heavy
(for me, not as flutes go), my
hands hurt, the position is awkward.
Is this really doable? Geez, the
whistle is so much easier.
ErikT
antispam: No

Post by ErikT »

Keep at it Jim! It's doable and incredibly rewarding once you've developed the muscles and stamina.

As far as your hands hurting, you may wish to see if there is a position that is more comfortable. In otherwords, don't try to strain to keep the same position that you've seen in a book. It might not look exactly the same as the books, but if you can cover the holes and stay relaxed it probably isn't a poor grip. However, I will warn you that any bad habit that you start now will be difficult to break later, so you may wish to show your friend or an instructor how you're holding it.

Peace,
Erik
clark
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Post by clark »

Jim,

It is doable! Yes, the whistle is easier, but it is not possible to achieve the range and nuance of tone with the whistle that is possible with the flute. When I am playing for a long time sometimes my arms get tired too. I sit in a chair with arms (a rocking chair) and I rest my right elbow on the arm of the chair for some relief. I would suggest waiting till you get tired before doing that so you build up some stamina. You wouldn't want to be able to only play with your arm resting on something.

Clark
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Thank you! Much appreciated, Jim
jomac
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jomac »

I got an M&E a little less than a month ago, and encountered exactly the same "obstacles". But I've been practicing a lot (with lots of breaks where necessary), and have had a lot of improvement. It's now inconsistent: about half the time I can hold position and play forever; the other half of the time my left hand gets "writer's cramp". So I'd expect I'll progress to the point where I can remain comfortable indefinitely maybe in another month or so. So don't be intimidated; pick the thing up and play it for short periods many times a day and you'll get comfortable in no time.

Joe
toddyboy50

Post by toddyboy50 »

Jim, I've been playing for about 4 months now, and besides the aches and pain everyone else describes, intermittently my lower lip goes a little "spastic", I think from using muscles in that area that I never even knew existed. For me, learning the flute is one giant lesson in patience.... - Tod
Tir na Ceol

Post by Tir na Ceol »

Buck up, flutes aren't for wimps. Just like everyone said, it's going to take some time getting your muscles built up. Then there's going to come the ache in the TMJ (where your jawbone is hinged) from working on your tone. If you keep at it though, occasionaly tape yourself playing (about every 3 months) to keep tabs on your progress; that will either give you the proverbial "kick in the butt" or "pat on the shoulder". Good luck, Cheers.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Excellent. Much encouraged. Jim
gcollins

Post by gcollins »

Grasshopper:

While your mind is in your breath, move your mind to your fingers and tell your brain to say, "relax, relax, fingers." Concentrate on nice and easy fingers. Hold the flute like your favorite girlfriend holds your...stick shift. Not so hard!

Regards,
G