10 months in the wink of an eye!!!!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
DaveAuty
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play the whistle, I used to play flute but have Dupuytren's contracture so can only play whistle now which is fine. Mostly play sessions around Canterbury Kent area.

Post by DaveAuty »

I wish I could hear that from Chris Wilkes. The waiting list for a keyless D was supposed to be one year and I still haven't got mine, one year nine months later. Hopefully I won't be a bleedin' pensioner before I get it.

Dave.
andrew

Post by andrew »

No doubt the grossly overworked Mr Wilkes who is slaving away to meet orders at historical prices at little benefit to himself would be very glad to give you your deposit back !
DaveAuty
Tell us something.: I play the whistle, I used to play flute but have Dupuytren's contracture so can only play whistle now which is fine. Mostly play sessions around Canterbury Kent area.

Post by DaveAuty »

Are you saying I am not entitled to a friendly little winge?? He said a year, it has been nearly two! No big deal. I know I can get my deposit back but I will obviously wait for the flute.
If you want to get serious then from my point of view he should never have taken my order if he knew he couldn't deliver within (or even around) the time stated.

Dave.
Blackbeer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Blackbeer »

Now now boys this is my joyous thread. There are enough Wilkes threads to vent youselves on. And besides I could never afford one of his flutes anyway. So Buzz off

Tom
DaveAuty

Post by DaveAuty »

Okay, Sorry.

Dave.
Cariad

Post by Cariad »

Oh boy are you the lucky one - I still have to wait till February for mine! :cry: However the wait for me is only 8 months - I ordered in June... (5 keys) I'd love to hear what its like and how you get on with it (and from anyone else who plays one).

SO - as I'm still pretty new to all this I have a few months more to practise on the keyless Dixon polymer - which I've been struggling with this weekend - we had our annual Piping Festival here which is a small community event but awesome - visiting Irish and English pipers along with the Welsh ones - 2 concerts, workshops for all instruments, a feast, coracles on the river, and sessions going on till 3 or 4 a.m. - but only two tunes I could play (just about) fast enough to join in!!
How do you get those fingers going like the wind (bet I know the answer - practise, practise and more practise!! - well maybe I'll get there by the time I retire - which is many more years yet! :D )

Sarah
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

i've concluded that professional Irish flute
players have three hands. I'll never
measure up, having only a prehensile tail.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Goodness Jim - Haven't you heard of evolution? Come on man, evolve, everyone's doing it!

C. Darwin
skh

Post by skh »

Cariad wrote:How do you get those fingers going like the wind (bet I know the answer - practise, practise and more practise!! - well maybe I'll get there by the time I retire - which is many more years yet! :D )
I'm also at the very beginning, and also waiting for a Lehart flute (stands up "Hi, my name is Sonja, and my Lehart is due March 2004, 6 keys."sits down again -- Maybe we should start a support group). To me, the flute seems to be the first instrument where my fingers are not the biggest problem... but yes, practise. Stretch exercises lessen the pain, too. But really, I have no clue, I'm just another beginner ;-)

Sonja
Shut up and play.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Tom,

my Seery is floating above the west coast now with a delivery date of Thursday. Unfortunately, I'll be out of town for work the day it's expected to arrive, but my parents are going to be taking care of the pets since my wife and son are coming on the trip with me (one of the key advantages of living in the same town with your parents is that you have a free pet sitting service) and my parents have promised to track it on the UPS site and pick it up when it's delivered.

I'm so excited that if I didn't have to take this trip before the Federal fiscal year ended (last day of September) I would cancel the trip and stay home. Actually, since my wife has a terrible cold, our horse is currently lame (the vet swears it's just a stone bruise and a small abscess that apparently is clean and healing on it's own - she's on Bute for the next 7 days for the bruise) - anyway, I guess where I'm going is this is either going to be a terrible trip with me worrying about my parents grabbing the flute before some theif does and my wife, sniffling all the time, worrying about her horse - or this could be a great trip like our last one when our then 3 year old gave all of us mono (from our goddaughter it turns out!) and we traipsed around D.C. in 105 degree heat...seriously, we ended up having so much fun.

Well, off for my last day of work this month when I'm in the office, after tonight, I'm off to Lincoln NE and Omaha NE!

Eric
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Holy smoke Eric I think I would have a nervious breakdown with all that going on. I just put new shoes on my horse yesterday and we were out riding and practicing neck reining and she tripped and went down and took most of the skin off both knees. Stone bruises can seem worse then they are. She will probably be ready to go when you get back. I can`t wait to hear what you think of that flute. It sure gets good reviews. I am going nuts myself right now. I am rarely at home during the day with 3 horses I`m training and feeding my ex boses draft horses and running around like a chicken with its head cut off. I hate the thought of the Lehart coming and me not home. But what a cool week. Your new flute, my new flute and maybe my Olwell bamboo flute too. I can`t take it.
Have a good trip and stay healthy and take care

Tom
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

Tom - that's good to hear that stone bruises can seem worse than they really are. It sounds like your life is crazy right now, too. I hope your horse's knees heal quickly - did you get hurt in during that incident? I'll let you know what I think of the Seery as long as you post your thoughts on the LeHart & the Olwell bamboo.

Hang in there!

Eric
skh

Post by skh »

So, has it arrived yet?

Sonja
Shut up and play.
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

It came yesterday. It is a thing of beauty! It was late last night that I finaly got my lips right and got some tone out of it. My god!!!
I`ll do a first impressions thread in just a bit. Got horses to feed and what not.

Tom
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Well, ALL RIGHT!!!!!!

So, how do you like the copper rings? How does it sound? Does it bark and honk? Is it sweet in the upper register? Come on, Man, I'm dyin'...

Mary :lol: