unknown flute, whats up.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Adriel
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

unknown flute, whats up.

Post by Adriel »

:-? i am figuring that some of you know flutes, other than irish, if this isnt irish. i am trying to figure out what it is. its got 7 holes, its 22 inches long and has a 3/4 inch bore. its made from bamboo. you guys have any idea on a make or nationallity? thanks... :boggle:
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Probably it isn't from Asia--those tend to be made
of cane, not bamboo. Likely it's from the Americas,
I'd guess,
north or south, and possibly south.

Does it play? In tune? Key?
Adriel

flute

Post by Adriel »

i am more of a whistle player....i am going to try to learn to play, hopefully it works and isnt decoration.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

The Bansuri of North India has six finger holes and two vent holes facing the player (on the examples I found); the Venu of South India has eight finger holes. Both are purportedly made of bamboo, but in the examples I saw, the nodes were shaved down for an overall smooth surface. "Bamboo" might be a misnomer if, as Jim states, cane is the more likely material. This doesn't look like either type of Indian flute, and is obviously made of bamboo in any case. How did you come across it?
andrew

Post by andrew »

Please tell us how you put your excellent photographs onto the site .
(This information may produce a flood of interesting items being referred to ).
Adriel

flute

Post by Adriel »

to answer the two questions, i picked up the flute at a flea market for like 4 bucks. as to putting up the pictures, i just uploaded them to my webspace at my school and just linked the image to the post through the img tag.