Paddy Carty; How does he do that?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
mat
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Paddy Carty; How does he do that?

Post by mat »

I have been listening to Paddy Carty's fantastic album 'Traditional Irish Music' and have a question....

Whilst playing the Reel of Mullinavat (Tr.11) in the first part on the second time around he bends a note (to great effect). Now Paddy, I believe, plays a keyed flute, so how does he do that?

The flute doesnt sound obviously different to the rest of the tracks so Im presuming he hasnt just swapped to a keyless.

Any ideas? :-?
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

That appears to be a chromatic slide -- he seems to be briefly hitting the Bb key and then slipping up to the B from there. He might also be bending the note by lipping down and then up-- you can produce a sliding sound on any flute with that technique, although in this case it sounds to me like he's touching the Bb key ever so briefly before going up to the B.

Probably a lot easier to do on a Radcliff-system flute than on a simple-system one. Carty made a lot of use of the Bb key, all those Fahey reels and such...he makes it seem so effortless. I've been working on some of his settings, and they're very tricky on the simple-system flute.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

What's a radcliffe system flute?
glauber

Post by glauber »

jim stone wrote:What's a radcliffe system flute?
One of the many kinds of flutes that appeared during the transition from the "simple system" 8 key to the modern Boehm system. The Radcliffe is very similar to the Boehm. One of the main differences is that the F and F# are switched around so they're more similar to the simple-system flute. This seems to have been one of the main sticking points for people converting to keyed flutes.
The Radcliffe has cult status amongst Irish flute players because Paddy Carty played one. He wanted more volume than he could get with a simple-system flute. Tried the Boehm and didn't like it, but settled on the Radcliffe.
The famous English flutist and teacher Trevor Wye has a Radcliffe that he says he plays occasionally.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
kkrell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

glauber wrote:The Radcliffe has cult status amongst Irish flute players because Paddy Carty played one. He wanted more volume than he could get with a simple-system flute. Tried the Boehm and didn't like it, but settled on the Radcliffe.
The famous English flutist and teacher Trevor Wye has a Radcliffe that he says he plays occasionally.
Billy Clifford still plays both a Radcliffe & wooden Boehm flutes, rather interchangably.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Where can one find recordings by Billy Clifford?
mat

Post by mat »

Micah wrote:Where can one find recordings by Billy Clifford?
I just picked up a record (vinyl) by the Star of Munster Trio (John, Julia & Billy Clifford). It was from the '70s so I doubt if it is still available!

Try amazon.com? or second hand record shops!
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Micah wrote:Where can one find recordings by Billy Clifford?
I got his cassette "Irish Traditional Flute Solos and Band Music from Kerry and Tipperary" from Ossian USA (mine was issued 1989 by Ossian Publications, Cork, Ireland). Ossian is at http://www.ossianusa.com/ . There is plenty of solo flute. As for the band tracks, the flute is mainly in the left channel, so you can focus on that better.

Billy Clifford went into the studio in June and recorded a set of hornpipes for "Wooden Flute Obsession 2". A short .MP3 sample is at http://www.worldtrad.org/WFO2_CD2.htm . He is playing the wooden Boehm (just a better take than the version with the Radcliffe).

Hopefully going back into the studio after about 20 years (he still plays regularly) will encourage him to lay down some other tracks.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
glauber

Post by glauber »

kkrell wrote:Hopefully going back into the studio after about 20 years (he still plays regularly) will encourage him to lay down some other tracks.
Good man, Kevin! You're the Buena Vista Social Club of Irish music!
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--