Replacing worn Finish

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Ronbo
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Replacing worn Finish

Post by Ronbo »

I have a relatively new blackwood flute which, through playing, I seem to have worn the finish off of, directly around the embouchure, where my bottom lip rests. It is a rather large area where the flute is down to bare wood.

I don't know if this results from inadequate finishing in the first place, or just a reaction to my skin oils and sweat. I would like to try putting on a new finish in that area, and am considering wiping on several coats of boiled linseed oil, as it seems to dry very well, and is a common finish among flute makers.

Would this be a good fix to attempt on my own, or are there any particular "gotcha's" to watch out for. Or should it be done by a professional? Thanks for any help.
mat
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mat »

Oiling your flute is definately something you can do yourself, and should do regularly.

There have been many thousands of words written about which oil to use on your flute, inside and out. Try putting a search in on this forum for 'oiling' or some such thing and you will be able to dip into the expertise of other players.

I use raw linseed on the exterior of my flute and a fine 'recorder oil' or almond oil on the inside.

Good luck.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

That's just a normal outcome of playing the beast. Every trad flute made of blackwood I've seen has that dull spot if it's been played regularly. So far, no amount of oil I ever applied changed this except for during the time it took to be absorbed. Possibly French-polishing would restore the luster, but, personally, I don't mind that dull spot. It's sort of a proof-of-handling indicator. It may also be that my five o'clock shadow aggravates this! I just let it be.
sturob

Post by sturob »

Nano, I think it's the opposite. Pat Olwell once remarked to me that when he gets a headjoint back from someone who's clean-shaven, it's always got that dry/dull spot around the embouchure. He's bearded, and his finish stays on.

So maybe we all need soul patches.

Stuart
Ronbo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

Hmm, I play mine about half the time clean shaven, and about the same amount of time with a three or four-day growth of beard. I imagine that the short beard would contribute to the dull spot.

I oil my flute internally with almond oil, and also polish the exterior with the almond oil, which seems to fill the dull spot temporarily. If, as Nano says, the dull spot is just a badge of use, I probably don't want to do anything else to it. Maybe one of our flute makers will have other suggestions. Thanks for the help so far.

Ronbo
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

sturob wrote:Nano, I think it's the opposite. Pat Olwell once remarked to me that when he gets a headjoint back from someone who's clean-shaven, it's always got that dry/dull spot around the embouchure. He's bearded, and his finish stays on.

So maybe we all need soul patches.

Stuart
That makes sense. I was thinking, however, that the nubbins of hair on a shaven face might be a bit abrasive to the surface of the wood. In any case, someone else who knows the term "soul patch"! By the way, I was discussing that very facial ornament with Patrick (a solution to suspected blackwood sensitization on my part; more on that in the future), and he informed me that some also refer to the soul patch as a "dweezil" (sp?). Couldn't find any lore on that, though. I wore a soul patch for a while, but...eccch.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Unless I'm misunderstanding your description, this isn't worn-away finish, but just the temporary colorization of the of wood in reaction to saliva and skin oil, salt and moisture contact in general. Oiling the spot right before and after playing (with almond) should help. Also, this keeps the area clean, which is a good thing as well. For a longer-term cure, try linseed oil there and let it absorb and dry, and do this every so often, or make a paste of oil (almond) and canuba wax, which will also make a longer-lasting but temporary barrier for the wood. It really doesn't matter what you chose - my point is that there really is no "finish" on most blackwood flutes, just the oil (usually linseed) the maker bathed the flute in before sending it to you, and your oil that you chose when you oil your flute. Some early flutes are coated in canuba wax on the outside as a shiny polish, and some really cheap flutes are laquered on the outside, but this is not what you are describing on a relatively new blackwood flute.
Other woods discolor more, BTW - my cocus lightens much there more than my blackwood, for eg. Oil cures it every time, but needs to be constantly reapplied for the same fix because, well, you keep playing it.
As for facial hair, I really think this spot is caused more by the moisture around the bottom lip, and not the chin or skin below the lip. For what it's worth, I have a beard, and it has neither eliminated nor caused the discoloration when it occurs.
Gordon
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

You mean I should grow a beard?

Mary
andrew

Post by andrew »

Many lady flautists do not (yet) have facial hair .Perhaps we should hear from some of them .
glauber

Post by glauber »

I'm afraid a beard won't help unless you are able to grow hair on your lips and fingertips. I have a beard and still i wear out the finish around the blowhole and also around the fingerholes. It annoys me. Oiling beforehand doesn't prevent it. Oiling afterwards (any oil) restores the finish, but only until the next time i play.

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
sturob

Post by sturob »

I think your best bet, Glauber (et al.) is either to switch to a drying oil or start using woodwind wax.

I personally am afraid of linseed oil, a little, since I'm kind of a messy person (hence my recent discussion of Slathering On the Oil) and I'm afraid I'd ruin the looks of a nice flute with it.

I am fond of Doctor's Products woodwind wax, on the top of this webpage. It's easy to apply and really gets things shiny. It's not permanent, but it does do a nice job. And a teensy bit goes a long way.

I know I could do a search and find out, but what kind of linseed oil is it that we SHOULD use? Nonboiled? Parboiled?

Stuart
skh

Post by skh »

sturob wrote:I know I could do a search and find out, but what kind of linseed oil is it that we SHOULD use? Nonboiled? Parboiled?
Raw. See http://homepage.eircom.net/~hammie/casebook.htm

cheers,

Sonja
Shut up and play.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

sturob wrote:I think your best bet, Glauber (et al.) is either to switch to a drying oil or start using woodwind wax.

I personally am afraid of linseed oil, a little, since I'm kind of a messy person (hence my recent discussion of Slathering On the Oil) and I'm afraid I'd ruin the looks of a nice flute with it.

I am fond of Doctor's Products woodwind wax, on the top of this webpage. It's easy to apply and really gets things shiny. It's not permanent, but it does do a nice job. And a teensy bit goes a long way.

I know I could do a search and find out, but what kind of linseed oil is it that we SHOULD use? Nonboiled? Parboiled?

Stuart
Raw linseed is found in the same places as almond (healthfood stores, for eg), but is often sold as flaxseed oil, not linseed, and is really healthy for you! Same seed. Avoid stuff in art stores or hardware stores, as it may be boiled (bad; dries too quickly) and additives are often added (also bad; dries too quickly and may be rendered toxic).
Slathering it on is problematic inside the flute if you let it sit too long, as drips start to congeal in a few days and that'll mess up the bore; the advice is to put it on thin, wait a bit (an hour or so) and then re-wipe it out. On the outside, it makes a bit less of a difference, but any drying oil should be applied less often than a non-drying.
Gordon
glauber

Post by glauber »

sturob wrote:I think your best bet, Glauber (et al.) is either to switch to a drying oil or start using woodwind wax.[...]
I use the good Doctor's oil and wax. Even the wax is no match for the acidity of my skin. :( The wax does make things look very nice, though, brings out the highlights in the wood, especially if you clean it a little before rubbing with the wax.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--