flute maker, anyone know the name?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Blayne Chastain
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Blayne Chastain »

Yep... Maurice Reviol is moving in less than a month. A pity as I'll be visiting Cillian in Dingle in November :sniffle:

Yep, isn't Shannon great?! I'm also bummed that she moved to Boston as I'd be taking flute lessons with her every week if I had the chance! Whenever she's in Colorado we try to hook up. Her husband Matt is also a great Bodhran and Guitar player... I hear he also plays a mean fiddle. They have a new band called dearga. You can find them here http://www.eatsrecords.com/
The Sporting Pitchfork
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

pdunn wrote:Hello out there,
I was surprised no one has heard of this flute maker (my original question) because his flutes were excellent. I may have come across an answer to my own question. I was looking over the liner notes to the newest Danu cd, and it mentions that Muireann Ni Amhoaoibh plays a flute by "Martin Doyle plus Maurice Reviol" I suspect this may be the guy. I remeber the Maurice part and I also remeber that the name did not sound distinctivly Irish (I could be wrong here, just a name I'm not familiar with) Also I ran in to the guy in Dingle and I suspect Muireann has roots there. Anyway though I only got to play the flute for a short time it sounded wonderful and loud reminding me in feel of an easier blowing Hammy. Anyone looking for a great flute at a great price should check this new guy out. Cillian O'Briain had one in his shop and another small shop also had one in stock. Take care Patrick
Maurice Reviol is indeed yer man. I met him a few years ago when I spent a summer in Dingle. He's German and spent a few years training/working with a woodwind manufacturer in Germany making bassoons and things. While I was there, he did a bit of work on my flute and also stuck a key on my O Briain chanter. Very nice guy. I talked to Cillian on the phone about a month ago and Maurice is indeed moving to New Zealand. Great to hear that he's making flutes. I'd love to give one a try some time.

Muireann Ni Amhlaoibh is indeed from around Dingle. Never did get a chance to play with her, but her father Feargal is a great fiddle player.