Ok. Which one of you guys is this?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Ok. Which one of you guys is this?

Post by Dale »

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/09 ... index.html

German police nab motorist playing flute
Wednesday, September 10, 2003 Posted: 5:41 PM EDT (2141 GMT)

BERLIN, Germany (Reuters) -- German police caught a man playing the flute with both hands as he sped through traffic at 130 kph (80 mph) on a busy highway, police said on Wednesday.

"He was leaning back in the seat and steering the car with his knees and feet," said Johann Bohnert, a spokesman for police in the town of Traunstein near the Austrian border.

"He looked like he'd had practice."

He now faces a fine of 50 euros ($56).

The 52-year-old from Salzburg in Austria, birthplace of Mozart, the composer whose works include the opera "The Magic Flute," told police he was not actually blowing the instrument.

"He said he was just practicing fingerings," said Bohnert.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright 2003 Reuters. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Come 'n' get me, Copper!! :P

Fluting while driving? What a dork.
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Dale, I take it that since playing flute in a car doesn't bear the risk of, er, brain stem impalement, you wouldn't dissuade people from practicing it?

:)
Jens
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Lets see, I've seen folks putting on ties with both hands, using electric razors while staring into the rearview mirror, putting on eyeliner with both hands, holding a cellphone to the ear with one hand and gesturing wildly with the other (seen this one way too frequently) - I don't see how this would be any more dangerous...unless it's a Boehm flute with those highly distracting key mechanism clunking as you drive :P .

That man is my new folk hero.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

I verily believe, from having much experience 'playing while driving,' that this Austrian fella did have a pipe up to his mouth, and a flute in the seat beside him-which he uses as a decoy, and does play occasionally, but I firmly believe that the real pipe was piping hot, or "smoking" as they say, and when he saw the flashing lights in his mirror, he quicky stashed the pipe under the seat (or out the other window at the perfect moment) and lifted the flute to his lap as if innocent enough. :lol:

Only a person on dope would think of doing something so wild. Perhaps he had his fix just before launching out on the audobon.