Slow Airs CD recommendations?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
griff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by griff »

Perhaps my appreciation of Irish music is not fully developed, but I still enjoy the haunting slow airs best. Can anyone recommend any particulary good CDs featuring slow airs? Most seem to include only one or two airs. I would like to hear one that has all or nearly all airs. Thanks.

Griff

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: griff on 2002-01-20 19:00 ]</font>
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

There's a couple of slow air only CDs I can think of off my head. Theres this CD called "Lament", all slow airs. The front cover shows a white lily being crushed by a hand. Not one of my favourite CDs though, but all trad airs.

Another is "Celtic Air(e?)" by the Celtophile label. This one is okay, with some nice airs from Altan.

These two are both compilations, and I don't think anyone, except singers maybe, would release an all slow air album.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

The newest release by Desi Wilkinson is very very nice. Beautiful airs indeed, with only one reel at the end of the entire disc.
Worth getting.
pixyy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

David,
Are you referring to Desi Wilkinson's 'Shady Woods' CD? indeed a lovely recording and some great flute playing.

I saw Desi Wilkinson with the Pure irish Drops tour this year. He started off saying that musicians playing irish music are among the greaters offenders of the speed limits...
so he prefers to play his tunes slowly.

On the CD are some more dance tunes (jigs, hornpipes) but he plays them very slowly and expressively - wonderful listening stuff!
(and a very funny and entertaining guy too)

Just did a search for Desi Wilkinson in Google. Didnøt find any CD info, but did come across this site with foto portraits of many trad. musicians http://www.jimmaginn.fsnet.co.uk/contents.htm

Jeroen

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: pixyy on 2002-01-21 05:54 ]</font>
dcopley
antispam: No

Post by dcopley »

You may also want to check out Tomas O'Cannain's collection "Traditional Slow Airs of Ireland", published by Ossian. This is a set of two audio cassettes and a book of transcriptions, and has 118 airs played on various instruments. I think you can get it from Lark in the Morning or Dusty Strings.

Dave Copley
Loveland, Ohio
Stan

Post by Stan »

And don't forget there's "Ireland's Best
Slow Airs" a collection of 110 Airs with a companion, double CD set. Check with Thom at The Whistle Shop or Mel Bay Publications.
griff

Post by griff »

Thank you all for your suggestions.