Dixon-v-Dixon

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
bittafchiff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Dixon-v-Dixon

Post by bittafchiff »

A couple of months ago I purchased my first flute - a Dixon pvc. I'm quite pleased with my progress so far, and I'm considering buying a Dixon polymer. What differences can I expect between the two instruments?
kevin m.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kevin m. »

I've never played a Dixon pvc flute,but I do own a Dixon Polymer.
I would guess that in comparison to the cylindrical Pvc flute,the octaves should be more in tune with each other-second octave tuning should be better,overall.I imagine that the sound will be fuller,and more like a trad. wooden flute than your current PVC flute.
Also,the Polymer will be a lot heavier to hold-heavier than some wood flutes (don't know how it compares to other Polymer flutes like M. and E. or Seery's though).
If you haven't checked already,a search should bring up loads of information previously discussed on this board re the Dixons.
Also,some folk may question why you don't go straight to a wooden flute,but; A)That wasn't in the remit of your question,and B)You may have your own reasons for wanting a rugged,maintenance free flute.
Whatever,the Dixon Poly is a lot of flute for the money,esp. if your strapped for cash.
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
Gordon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Gordon »

The Dixon polymer will hold up better if you swing it real hard.
Gordon
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Gordon's right about the defensive capability of the Dixon conical flute - I always feel safe even in the bad parts of town :D , but it also sounds much, much better. I've not played the PVC Dixon, but I've heard it played. It's tone is much less complex, it's not as well in tune in the upper range of the flute, & volume is not as good. Also, the finger spacing is farther apart on the PVC than on the conical Delrin model.

Overall, the Dixon 3 piece is a really good deal for the price. I can get a wide range of tones, it's loud enough for a small session, and it has really inspired me to play, practice, and improve my technique in a way that my earlier flutes (PVC, bamboo, Hall Crystal Flute, several fifes, etc...) didn't.