Venting middle D

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

Another important question is: do people notice the difference in sound if you don't lift the first finger for the D? My flute teacher always insisted she could hear it, but i think she cheated a little (she peeked!). I think there's a better chance that people will notice it on a long note than on a quick passing note. On the other hand, classically-trained flutists are so trained on lifting that finger that it's not an issue for them.

With a holey flute (rather than a keyed one), you have the option of doing finger vibrato, and playing with changing the color of the notes through different fingerings. This is nice, so use it, treat the 2 Ds as different notes for different effects.

Or just leave the damn finger down! :D
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
DanD

Post by DanD »

I always vent the middle D. It's so much of a habit that I'm trying to break it! :) I'm working on a jig that would be much cleaner if I can teach myself to leave that finger down.

OTH, I have seen a couple of posts, either here or on the Whistle Board, where it was said that judges in competitions will deduct points if you don't vent the D. Since I have no intention of ever entering a contest, I ain't gonna worry about it! :D

Dan
Without music, life would be an error. - F. Neitzche
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I do both, depending. I don't know personally, but if you're gearing for trad competitions, you'll want to make a habit of it. I've heard tell of judges knocking off points for not doing it. Me, I couldn't care less. There are times when I want the harmonics that come about from hovering between octaves.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

oh, no, I haven't a hope in competitions?
Aieeeeeee!
rama
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

Venting is a good habit. The drawback to not venting is that there are times or there are certain passages of notes when not venting the D does not cause the D to register in the 2nd register. It can fail us. But some players don't care if they hit the middle D or not. There may be times also that it comes in a little muted, veiled, or flat. But there are plenty of instances when it creates the same result as venting, no discernable difference.
But there are also times when venting seems impractical. Try venting on this sequence of notes (I don't) from the reel The Limerick Lasses :

bDaD bDaD bDEF GFED

To vent or not vent that is the question
msheldon

Post by msheldon »

rama wrote:But there are also times when venting seems impractical. Try venting on this sequence of notes (I don't) from the reel The Limerick Lasses :

bDaD bDaD bDEF GFED
Doesn't phase me much. I've been venting the middle D all along, so it's just reached a point where that's how my fingers move. I'd be in a lot worse shape if I had a situation where I really needed to NOT vent it.
Michael Sheldon
Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a good book.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
BMFW

Post by BMFW »

It all depends on the siuation. I find that venting helps to jump the octave cleanly. But by not venting you can seriously overblow the middle D giving a wonderful, forceful note which can punctuate phrases really well (you wouldn't guess that Conal O Grada is one of my favourites would you?). You can also get a cran to really pop out of the flute if you don't vent. As others mentioned, if it's a quick passage or an awkward passage to finger, :oops: then why bother venting.

Graham
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

good points, helpful. Thanks, Graham