FS: Casey Burns Blackwood Flute - Not for sale at this time

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
livethe question
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by livethe question »

For Sale: Casey Burns Blackwood Flute/no tuning slide $450 + shipping/insurance

One year old and kept in humidified environment. I got this new (I still have the receipt) last year and it's convinced me I want to move up to a Copely or Olwell. I'm keeping my Seery for camping and backpacking so this one has to go. Comes with cordura nylon case (green)

It's just like the one on Ebay at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 47102&rd=1

except mine is not the small hands model and none of the holes are offset. This one isn't hard to handle IMHO but I get along ok with the Seery and I have only medium size to small hands.

Sorry if I stepped on the other flute seller's toes but I didn't see that one advertised here and if he or she is a forum member they are using a different name than their Ebay name.

Besides mine is different, being the regular and not the small hand model.

Please keep in mind the rules for buying and selling and contact me at my email address or in a private message if you are interested or have questions. This will be going on Ebay in a couple of weeks after I get my Paypal and ebay selling accounts set up.

take care

jim
Last edited by livethe question on Thu Sep 11, 2003 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doc Jones
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

Just for the record;

Jim is as fine a fellow as ever there was. I've had numerous transactions with him and would sell him a house on a handshake. :)

Oh yeah he's selling this time. Ok I'd BUY a house from him on a handshake. :D

Doc
mrosenlof

Post by mrosenlof »

I've got this same flute, but in Mopane. Looks great and plays very nicely. Never had any problem reaching the holes. I can comfortably spread my right hand fingers at least 8.5 inches in case that might help someone to judge...

When I first got it, after playing Bohm flute for just over a year, I wasn't so sure it was really a good flute, but in the 2.5 years since then, this flute has "improved" to the point where it can really sing now!
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I've seen these at Music Folk here in
St. Louis. The mopanes
have a nice,warm sound, the stretch on the
non-small hands version is easy enough.
However the recent one they have isn't in tune,
the e is flat. They've adjusted the cork
but no help. This is the only CB flute
I've ever seen with intonation problems.

They also have a blackwood CB with
tuning slide and much silver for 975,
which sounds very good. Best
livethe question

Sorry I didn't get back here sooner but I drove over to Lincoln, Nebraska last evening to see Shannon and Matt of Suicra fame. Well worth the two hour drive. They were great.

First of all a qualified correction. The Casey Burns flute may be a small hand model. I revisited the website and couldn't tell for sure from the picture although I'm leaning towards it being the small hand model. No offset holes, however...they are all in a row. I got the flute new from the Spruce Tree Music store in Madison Wisconsin and they didn't list it as a small hand model so I can't be sure.

The flute is in tune......I checked it against my tuner. The low D is not as strong as it could be although it's not bad. And since I'm not an accomplished "fluter", it may have a nice low D and I just don't know how to purse my lips to get it. Really sweet second octave. It may can be rough but I'm not good enough yet to make a flute speak in different voices.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Doc. I return the compliment. I'll buy or sell with Doc at the drop of a hat and his word is as good as gold.

take care

jim d
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Does anybody know how one tells if one of these
is or isn't the small hand model?
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

CBs website appears to say that all the
small hand flutes have some offset holes.
This suggests that if a flute has no offset holes
then it isn't a small hand flute, FWIW.
I'll try to find out for sure. Best
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

OK, got the measurements from Jim and checked
with the ever helpful Casey Burns. The flute
is the standard size.
Doc Jones
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

Bump!

Hey how come no one has bought this nice fellar's flute yet? :D

Doc
livethe question

After some consultation with another board member, I am taking the flute off the market, at least for the time being. It may have some tuning problems AND I'm also taking a step back to consider do I really want to part with this flute. I of course would have sold it to the person who intitially expressed interest but since He decided to pass on the flute at this time, it frees me up to consider other options. Thanks Doc, for vouching for me, thanks Jim for your feedback and thanks to all others who asked questions and expressed interest. If the flute goes back on the market I will contact those individuals to offer it before advertising it again.

The flute will go back to the Casey Burns who has an excellant reputation for customer satisfaction I hear. When it gets back, I'll play it extensively and, most likely keep it. If so, I may have a Seery for sale......or not.

y'all take care

jim

edit: After reading this post I want to add, in all fairness to Casey Burns, that I don't know that this flute has tuning problems. It's going back to get checked out and Casey Burns actually asks that his flutes be returned after a year or so to be checked out, even if you haven't had problems. Doesn't get any better than that does it? So my apologies that my post may have been misleading. I've been contacted by other owners of CB flutes like mine that don't have the tuning slide and they were quite pleased with their flutes.
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

On my visit to Seattle this summer, I had the opportunity to play a Casey Burns boxwood flute at Dusty Strings ~ The flute rocked! In fact, a shopper wandered over my way to see where that "Beautiful" music was coming from :oops:

I have my awesome Copley, and I bought a used CB flute earlier this past summer just to kick around on. I really like it! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend his flutes, I can't imagine you would want to trade it in after he reworks it!

Mary
madfifer9

Post by madfifer9 »

I also played a Casey Burns blackwood with some keys at Dusty Strings, and it was so easy to play and sweet sounding that I wanted to take it home with me!! But I already have an Ormiston keyless AND a Dixon keyless.... still, it was SO tempting....

madfifer9
When whistles are outlawed, only outlaws will have whistles!
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Very Tempting!!

In fact my sister said, Why don't you buy it? I would have, but I have a boxwood Olwell on order that is due to arrive sometime in November!

I also tried a nice keyless Williams flute at LITM at Pike Place Market, but the CB flute played better for me.......

Mary
livethe question

Thanks Mary and all other posters offering thoughts about the Casey Burns. I'm certainly re-thinking thoughts of getting rid of it. We'll see.

jim D