Wah! I "broke" my concert flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Lifeforms
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Scotland, home of the haggis, heather and whiskey! Yummy!!

Wah! I "broke" my concert flute

Post by Lifeforms »

:cry: :cry: :cry:

After a yr of being anally careful I dropped, of all things, my flute head on a school floor. The bottom of it (where it slides into the middle section) has flattened and now it won't fit.

Any idea on if this is "fixable" or how long it might take? Will have to take it to the sellers on wed and see what they say. I play the flute twice a week and am now fluteless as I don't have another one of any kind to play.

*sigh*
I really am Rather Boring, you know.
msheldon

Re: Wah! I "broke" my concert flute

Post by msheldon »

Lifeforms wrote::cry: :cry: :cry:

After a yr of being anally careful I dropped, of all things, my flute head on a school floor. The bottom of it (where it slides into the middle section) has flattened and now it won't fit.

Any idea on if this is "fixable" or how long it might take? Will have to take it to the sellers on wed and see what they say. I play the flute twice a week and am now fluteless as I don't have another one of any kind to play.

*sigh*
It should be fixable, you just need to find a good flute repair person.
Michael Sheldon
Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a good book.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
eilam

Post by eilam »

I think that should be an easy fix, like car body work, hammer and a tapered mandrel. If you take it to a repair person, he might be able to fix it while you wait.
Good luck with it, eilam.
glauber

Post by glauber »

Take it to a repair person, and when they're done you won't even know it was bent. If you're in the Chicago area PM me and i'll tell you where i take mine. If you aren't ask around.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
BigTex

Post by BigTex »

Quite frankly, despite the other conciliatory replies, you’re screwed. It'll never sound the same. If you are partial to modern Rudalls, you can do no better than Byrne, Grinter or Wilkes. If you are a heavy rounder Pratten type, Olwell, Murray and Hamiltons will do. A Copley may also suit the bill although I've never played the latter.

Big,

a.k.a. Big Tex

Damn, a cold front just came through and I'm feeling frisky. Its down to 80 degrees.

Peace from Bandera.

Robert.
Lifeforms

Post by Lifeforms »

Thanks for all your replys! It's most appreciative. I'll drop into the place where i bought it on Wed and see what they say.

I'm in scotland, so if they can't do it, hopefully they can recommend someone who can because I haven't the foggiest where else to get it done!
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Lifeforms,you never said what type of flute it is,apart from 'concert'.
If it's a metal Boehm flute,you shouldn't have much trouble getting it panel bashed! :)
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
Lifeforms

Post by Lifeforms »

Ahh sorry, its a Trevor J James concert flute, silverplated body, and I think a silver head.
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

I'm sure that any competent woodwind repairer should be able to fix it up as good as new!
By way of an example-check out the Copeland woodwinds site.
I haven't checked lately,but it always used to feature a couple of ' before and after' photos of a whistle that was returned to base for repair,having fallen foul of the Postal services 'in-transit' :)
Nice flute,by the way!
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
Tom O'Farrell

damaged head joint

Post by Tom O'Farrell »

Try using a broom handle or similar wood round shape, simply jam it down the end of the head joint which is a thin metal easily enough brought back to shape. and it may get you playing. I have done this with a remarkable success, considering how crude it sounds, you won't get it perfect but you may be surprised how well it can turn out. Then temporarily use masking tape around the joint, until you get it to a flute repair shop.
Tom O'Farrell.
www.tomofarrell.ca
Lifeforms

Post by Lifeforms »

Phew! Just spoke the repair people and they think they will be able to fix it. The chap said its a common thing, obviously the weakest part of the head joint. So will whisk it there on Wed, where I will know for sure.

I forgot that i also have a crystal flute in G, which i'm not a very good player on, so cramming in how to play it, so atleast i can have something flute like to play before I get mine sorted!

Still can't believe I could have been so stupid! I use a stand when not playing it, but it was when i was dismantling it that it fell.
msheldon

Post by msheldon »

Lifeforms wrote:Still can't believe I could have been so stupid! I use a stand when not playing it, but it was when i was dismantling it that it fell.
Stuff happens.

A couple of days ago, the footjoint of my silver flute slipped out of my hands while assembling it. The first thing it hit was a friend's leg, the next thing it hit was concrete. :o Fortunately, the footjoint is well reenforced on both ends, no damage was done. However, it sure gave me a bit of a shock.
Michael Sheldon
Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a good book.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
glauber

Post by glauber »

Lifeforms wrote:Phew! Just spoke the repair people and they think they will be able to fix it. The chap said its a common thing, obviously the weakest part of the head joint. So will whisk it there on Wed, where I will know for sure.
Great! It is a common thing. So are, unfortunately, v-shaped flutes due to people seating on them. It's amazing what these guys can fix. You probably won't be able to tell where the damage was.
Lifeforms wrote:I forgot that i also have a crystal flute in G, which i'm not a very good player on, so cramming in how to play it, so atleast i can have something flute like to play before I get mine sorted!
Now that one will be a little harder to fix if you drop it. :D
Lifeforms wrote:Still can't believe I could have been so stupid! I use a stand when not playing it, but it was when i was dismantling it that it fell.
We all do it at least once. I was once shaking the headjoint to get rid of most of the H2O before swabbing it and... it slipped out of my hand and travelled diagonally and at great speed towards the concrete floor. It hit and bounced a couple of times. Result... a neatly triangular tenon! I fixed that myself using the broomstick method, but i was young and reckless then; i'd take it to a repair shop now.

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Lifeforms

Post by Lifeforms »

msheldon wrote:A couple of days ago, the footjoint of my silver flute slipped out of my hands while assembling it. The first thing it hit was a friend's leg, the next thing it hit was concrete.
*nods* i think if my foot joint had been the one to fall it would have been ok. I guess its just like a ring on that particular area of headjoint. The hitting of the floor just dented it.
Lifeforms

Post by Lifeforms »

glauber wrote:Great! It is a common thing. So are, unfortunately, v-shaped flutes due to people seating on them.
Eek theres a lass at the band that I play in who is just learning the flute (10/11 yrs old), I can just see her doing that with it. She often leaves it sat on the chair or balances it on the music stand. I don't think she really understands how easily damaged they can get. Or any flute care either. She once asked me if she could wash the inside of the flute out with soapy water. Needless to say I did explain that the pads wouldn't like that, nor would the flute, and just dropped in about not doing it with the head joint either cos there's cork (?) in there. :o
glauber wrote:Now that one will be a little harder to fix if you drop it. :D

I am now paranoid about that one! Sod's law would dictate that I would break that one as well! :lol:
glauber wrote:We all do it at least once. I was once shaking the headjoint to get rid of most of the H2O before swabbing it and... it slipped out of my hand and travelled diagonally and at great speed towards the concrete floor. It hit and bounced a couple of times. Result... a neatly triangular tenon!
I've also had many flash experiences with that. I do it too, to get rid of a lot of the slobber before properly swabbing it out. tbh i always thought that if i would dent it, that would be the way i'd do it!