V Kohlert & Sons Bb Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jqpublick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

V Kohlert & Sons Bb Flute

Post by jqpublick »

Hey all,

Whilst wandering through one of the local antique stores I stumbled across a Bbflute/fife/some wooden blowey thing and decided to pick it up. (For ten bucks, why not?) I've been trying to find something about either the manufacturer or, for that matter, the methods of playing the Bb flute. I've come across almost nothing thus far. The C & F search brought up lots and lots of stuff, but almost none of it pertains to this uh instrument. Here's the particulars:

36.8 cm, six keys, two piece with tuning slide. I'm pretty sure it's either rosewood, ebony or African blackwood. The stamp says "V. Kohlert and Sons, makers, Graslitz, Bb H.P. 221313."

From what I've been able to gather the H.P. stands for 'high pitch' and I'm certain (from exhaustive searches) that Kohlert was better known for clarinets, starting in the 1890s. I've seen two posts from D. Migoya in which Kohlert FLUTES were mentioned, but nothing else. Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks, thanks, thanks
Mark
BTW, the tuning slide moves and although the pads are in rough shape I've been able to get sounds out of it.
Lifeforms
Location: Scotland, home of the haggis, heather and whiskey! Yummy!!

Post by Lifeforms »

Hmm the 6 key, High Pitch, and Bb lends me to think of the Bb marching flutes that I know of, but can't place the one you have. Any chance of a picture?
I really am Rather Boring, you know.
jqpublick

Post by jqpublick »

Hi Lifeforms;

I don't have a digital camera, but I can ask a couple of friends. It might take a while but I'll do what I can.

Thanks, though.

Mark
Lifeforms
Location: Scotland, home of the haggis, heather and whiskey! Yummy!!

Post by Lifeforms »

Hiya!

This is mine that i have. Made by Barnes and Mullins. This one specifically is for marching bands and such, and we really have problems fitting it into anything other than that!

I dunno if this looks similar? Plus on ebay.co.uk you often see fifes and flutes sold that are quite similar to above.

(edit) Oops i forgot to say that thats polymer or whatever, however my mum does have a lovely rosewood flute similar to mine.
I really am Rather Boring, you know.