testing before buying

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
phcook
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

testing before buying

Post by phcook »

I read that the best to do before buying was testing; but o,e buy often a flute from a foreign maker.

Even if you can test a similar model you can't be sure of the result, due to wood density, handcraft, etc.

So how many of you have been able to test the flute they eventually bought? (in a store for instance)

Philippe
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

Sometimes you have to trust the recommendations. I try to at least talk to the maker and a few other people whose opinion i respect.

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
michael_coleman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

I'd say listen to clips, although the player makes a difference with sound just as much as the flute does. I agree with glauber, recommendations is the way to go and most makers will let you try the flute before you purchase it, at least if it is a used flute, I'm sure some flute makers will let them you try it before you buy it.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

many of these folks will give you a trial period during
which you can return the flute for a refund.
hans
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

I was interested in Dominic Allan's flute, from seeing pictures but knowing nothing about them. After speaking with him he sent me an eight key flute on loan for me to try (against full payment, which could be refunded) which I like so much that I ordered a new one from him, asking for a few little changes in the keywork to suit my hands better.

For a good flute, which is a lot of money to invest, I say definitely try before you buy. For me buying a flute is like buying shoes: Good to find a maker by recommendation, but I still need to try to find the flute-model which really suits me. I can't just try out a flute in a session or on a workshop for ten minutes. Even a day with a new flute is not enough, although it may reveal big incompatibilities. Best to have a week or two together. I am amazed how different flutes are, and recommendations are not enough, words just don't explain the subtle differences. I do want to have an intimate relationship with my flute, I need to feel it properly.

So find a maker who is prepared to let you try out a model first, against paying a deposit for the loan, before committing yourself to order one. Or check a makers refund policy closely. You may find that you loose quite a bit of money even with the best refund policy, especially when ordering from other countries.

If we would all ask to try out flutes first, makers will adjust to our demands and the phenomen of ordering first, seeing the flute one or two years later will be a thing of the past.

Anyway, thats my take on it.
Hans