Irish piccolos

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Whistle_along_Cassidy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Irish piccolos

Post by Whistle_along_Cassidy »

Hello
Recently i have become interested in Irish piccolo's and wondered if anyone had one for sale. Must be in "D", 6 holed, with keys(i might buy one without but i would have to see it). Maker doesnt matter, just as long as it is in tune and nice looking. Antiques are exceptable. Looking to spend under $75. Pm me if you are interested.
thank you
Andrew Cassidy
skh

Post by skh »

Maybe it's just me, but - what is an Irish piccolo?

Sonja
Shut up and play.
msheldon

Post by msheldon »

Almost all of the simple-system keyed piccolos I've seen are antiques in the key of Eb, and are most decidedly NOT in tune with themselves when the tuning slide is extended to bring them to D.

I don't know of anyone currently making simple system keyed piccolos. There are a couple of keyed fife makers, but not piccolos that I've seen.
Michael Sheldon
Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a good book.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Gordon, I didn't think the Db piccolo became popular till the late-19th or early-20th century. Of our three antiques, two are D and one is Db, which my wife was having trouble finding. (I've never seen an Eb.)
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
glauber

Post by glauber »

I have a Sweetheart piccolo/fife in D and a Hammy Hamilton piccolo in D. Both are unkeyed. Hammy would probably make a keyed piccolo for a small fortune. :) Some Baroque flute makers do one-keyed piccolos too, but i don't think there's any demand for a keyed Pratten-style picollo. You can always use a modern Boehm system one.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Whistle_along_Cassidy

Post by Whistle_along_Cassidy »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=16229

check this out

piccolos i have seen are in D and Eb. I know that were mass produced in England can be found all over the place. Most are keyed. Hammy makes one and so does skip healy. Piccolos were very popular in Ireland for years due to the fact that they were louder than flutes and neaded no ampilfication system, but tin whistle and flute took over the piccolos popularity.
-Andrew cassidy
Mal

Irish Piccolos

Post by Mal »

Hammy Hamilton makes piccolos and fifes, both keyless and unkeyed.

Skip Healy also makes piccolos in various keys and, as with all his flutes, he offers keyless models with six holes or with 10 holes (which make them chromatic). Also, according to his website, he says he is now developing plans for offering keyed models.

Plan on spending about $400 for a new unkeyed piccolo, and you can assume that any flute maker will charge as much for adding keys to a piccolo as he does for adding them to his larger flutes.

Mal
glauber

Re: Irish piccolos

Post by glauber »

Whistle_along_Cassidy wrote: Pm me if you are interested.
I did.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--