Metal flutes and sessions

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
scottadm

Metal flutes and sessions

Post by scottadm »

I have been teaching myself to play the flute and would love to bring it to the local session as a break from the whistle. However, I have a metal Boems system flute as I was able to get a good one for really cheap ($30 dollars at a garage sale!) Would bringing it be an OK thing to do as long as I ask the group if I could play it or would the mere mention of such a thing cause me to be beaten and tossed out of the pub? At the sessions I have been to, I have seen very few irish flutes and no metal flutes so I am not sure what the typical attitude about this is.
Gordon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Gordon »

When I first started playing ITM it was on a Boehm, and I had the identical concern, as my teacher, Jack Coen, played a wooden flute and so, it seemed, did everyone else playing traditional music. So I asked him, somewhat sheepishly, how I might be received at a session with a silver flute. In his typical manner, he leaned back and smiled. "That depends on how you play, now, doesn't it?"
Musicians appreciate good musicianship. If you're given grief at a session for your choice of instrument, find another session.
Gordon
rama
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

Gordon,
Thanks, that's another classic line from the mighty Jack Coen, I'll remember that one. :D He certainly has a way with words, not to mention his wonderful fluteplaying.
r
msheldon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by msheldon »

Around here, you wouldn't get a second glance. All of the flute players at our session have silver flutes, and the best player of them all *only* owns silver flutes and piccolos.
Michael Sheldon
Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a good book.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.