Which Key of Bamboo Flute Should I Start With

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
KCJiang
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Which Key of Bamboo Flute Should I Start With

Post by KCJiang »

I am going to buy a bamboo flute, I have small hands. If I only can buy one flute, which one should I start with, Bb key flute, A key flute or G key flute or you have any other suggestions? Thanks.
Last edited by KCJiang on Tue Aug 19, 2003 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rama
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

yes
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

The higher the flute the harder it will be to play at first, so, unless you have a pretty good embouchure, the best flute will be the lowest you can play.
KCJiang

Post by KCJiang »

Rama and Jim:

Thanks. Should I start a Bb flute or the low D flute (lowest?)? For the low D flute I may have problem to cover all the holes.
msheldon

Post by msheldon »

I'd suggest maybe an F. Small enough that covering all the holes should be easy, large enough that getting good tone should not be too hard.
Michael Sheldon
Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a good book.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
FSnockhart

Post by FSnockhart »

If you want to play with other people, you might want to consider a D flute despite the reach issues, since most tunes are played on D instruments. If you're only interested in playing by yourself, I think it matters much less.

My first flute was actually in A; no problem with reach, but I couldn't play with others. I'm now on flute number 4 -- despite the money issues that made me say, after each flute, this is the last flute I will ever be able to afford.
rama
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

Bamboo F flute - very tasty
msheldon

Post by msheldon »

FSnockhart wrote:If you want to play with other people, you might want to consider a D flute despite the reach issues
Yeah, but on an F, you can play along with Lunasa. :lol:

I love F for doing solo work. High enough to be easily heard, low enough not to be annoying.
Michael Sheldon
Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a good book.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
knorris908

Post by knorris908 »

msheldon wrote:
FSnockhart wrote:If you want to play with other people, you might want to consider a D flute despite the reach issues
Yeah, but on an F, you can play along with Lunasa. :lol:

I love F for doing solo work. High enough to be easily heard, low enough not to be annoying.
I agree. I love my F bamboo. But I just by chance have ONE G bamboo that is just magical. (I don't know why Erik The Flutemaker made THIS one better than the others, but it is just a whole different level of sound and playability. It is my favorite flute to learn a tune on. This is even including My Dixon 3-piece which is my Favorite "Irish" flute. And, because it's in G, you CAN play with others fairly easily.

Just my humble opinion.

Kenneth