need help purchasing a flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Fifer602
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

need help purchasing a flute

Post by Fifer602 »

Hello, i've been playing the fife for the colonial williamsburg fife and drum corps for 7 years. i am looking for a good flute. i have played many irish flutes that other people own. the only thing i need help with..is finding a good flute that isnt very expensive. i've heard that olwell bamboo flutes are good...but i dunno. what is a good flute that isnt gonna put a 17 year old guy in debt. thanks.

Scott
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Hey Scott, check out the Olwell verses Dixon thread and see what ya think. I would also ask what you want to spend. I can relate to your not wanting to get into dept and there are a number of choices you could make. Don`t worry you will be able to find what you want.

Tom
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Dave Copley's flutes are a bit less expensive
and very good.
mrosenlof

Post by mrosenlof »

I think the original question was about a Bamboo Olwell, which is pretty economical. The consensus here is that Dave Copeley makes a great flute. Looks like his start at $800 in blackwood.

I recently received a really nice flute from Mark Hoza. I ordered his cheapest model - two pieces, no rings, no tuning slide, cooktown ironwood, his large hole, large bore model. So far, I've been extremely happy with the ease of play, tone, and range of this flute. It was $320 plus shipping from Australia. I'm planning on a more thorough review after I've spent some more time playing it.