Who makes short D flutes (no B/C foot or extra holes on end)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Bretton
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Who makes short D flutes (no B/C foot or extra holes on end)

Post by Bretton »

It seems that most flutes I see people playing at sessions (with the exception of one) are very long and have extra holes and/or an extra joint at the end. If I understand correctly, in many cases this would allow the addition of low C and B keys at some point. I've also heard that maybe this makes the flute more in tune and/or louder.

Are their any makers that offer a standard D flute that is shorter without this bottom 'foot' ?

I'm about to go investigate this on the Web so I'll probably find an answer, but I'll check back here too.

Thanks!

-Brett
Ronbo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

You might try George Ormiston, who makes fine flutes. he is accessible through the web. Tony Dixon's are short foot, also, as are some of Ralph Sweet's. I am sure that your web search will turn up several more.
sturob

Post by sturob »

I'm pretty sure any of the big folks would do it for you. Aebi does, I think Pat Olwell will, and I know Terry McGee does.

I think most makers would be accommodating with that kind of request.

Most of our (IrTrad, simple-system) flutes that have long feet have C# and C keys, not down to B. What you want would be called a D foot. Some people might make it integral with the lower hand, others might have a little part for you to stick on.

Stuart
herbivore12
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by herbivore12 »

Terry McGee makes a short foot, as well. My R&R copy has a short foot, and is very loud and in tune. Some people feel that the short foot is better balanced, some find it less balanced; try both before you commit, to see what works for you.
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

I'm just beginning to work with the flute and will probably devote a few months to it (at the very least) before buying an expensive one, but Terry McGee's Grey Larsen Preferred model looks good. Anyone have one of these?

-brett
glauber

Post by glauber »

Bretton wrote:I'm just beginning to work with the flute and will probably devote a few months to it (at the very least) before buying an expensive one, but Terry McGee's Grey Larsen Preferred model looks good. Anyone have one of these?
Only Grey Larsen, i think. This is a brand new model by Terry.

Most makers make "short feet" on request, BTW. Hamilton comes to mind and wasn't mentioned before.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
phcook

Post by phcook »

Hi

Fred Rose make flutes without foot joint; mine is a one piece flute, with head joint and tuning slide. It plays rather loud.

Philippe
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Michael Copeland's flutes have a short D foot..

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Glenn Schultz also does flutes with a D foot.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Ben Shaffer
Tell us something.: Ive played Irish Flute for a number of Years. Have played Sessions as well but not currently. I have also played Colonial American Flute in reenactment Groups. Started playing Clarinet in 1960 in School and later Community Bands. Also have played Bagpipes Solo as well as in Pipe Bands I played Drums in a Garage band in High School, probably my Instrument I played the best!

consider the Olwell RR prototype Flute

Post by Ben Shaffer »

Brett,
I had a Terry McGee RR Flute with a short D foot, which I really liked. The Trend however is towards the long foot which only exists because they were canabalized Flutes with keys that were taken off and then contemporary makers just started making them that way. They then became the norm. Thes so called session Flutes while quite loud and well suited for playing in big groups, make me feel like I'm holding a baseball bat or yardstick. I prefer a more diminutive Flute....
A Flute I would HIGHLY recommend would be a copy of a Rudal Rose Flute from the Dayton Miller Collection that Pat Olwell made back in the 80's,( he calls this a Prototype), had in his shop, wasn't interested in selling it in the past, but has recently sold it to me. It's in D, in boxwood, 4 sections, short D foot. The Flute is Boxwood, with a nitric acid wash. I'll use the Flute mainly for Colonial events, but the Irish tunes sound great on it as well.This Flute would be an excellent choice for someone with small hands.
This Flute sounds like a dream and without Silver rings Pat will make you one at a very reasonable price.
Ben
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

For a brief discussion of short feet, check Phil Bleazey's website.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

For a brief discussion of short feet, check Phil Bleazey's website.
mrosenlof

Post by mrosenlof »

I think just about any flute maker can or will make a short foot flute. Casey Burns, Ralph Sweet, Mark Hoza are three more that certainly do.
feadog39

Post by feadog39 »

I myself happen to have a Hammy with a short D foot. I didn't order it this way, as i got it second hand. I would venture a guess that there is not much of an inherent difference between a flute with the "full" foot versus one with the short foot, unless of course keys were being used. In other words, a keyless pratten Olwell with a long foot would sound the same as the same style flute designed with a short foot. However, this is bald speculation on my part, as i haven't spent any time comparing two flutes on this basis before. I'd certainly be interested in what the word on the streets is on this issue, or what a flute maker would have to say on this issue...
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

I have been playing a Dave Williams flute with short foot and no keys and another Dave Williams flute with a long foot and 4 keys. I swapped heads, played each flute-body with the same head. The flutes were of the same type, same hole sizes and diameters. I found the long foot definitely more satisfying in the tone quality. I would always recommend a long foot unless you really need a shorter flute because you have less space.

Hans