I NEED A GRIP!!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
theotherleadingbrand
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

I NEED A GRIP!!

Post by theotherleadingbrand »

Hi there,

I mentioned once in a former post some time ago that I was having problems transitioning from C# to the next octave D and back down again with the grip I was using on the flute. I use a piper's style grip, (first pad on the ring finger, second pad on the middle and index fingers, both hands) and as such I don't have the use of my left thumb to stabilize the flute when I have all of the holes open. At first I tried to lift up my left index finger just enough to get the C# while still being able to pinch the flute with my thumb, but found that I would have to move my whole hand to do this and sometimes the note would be flat. When you have to flip your hand around like that you lose the economy of motion that should come with smooth playing.
My current solution is to play C# with the lower tone holes covered : oooxxx, so for D I would just add: oxxxxx, and when I get back to B: xooooo (with the right pinky doing its thing).
I'm sorry if this all may sound a little confusing, but excepting this problem I find the piper's grip the most comfortable way for me to play. I'm wondering if anyone out there has another way of overcoming this problem, and if any experienced players would care to offer their insights. Does playing C# with the bottom tone holes covered cause any problems? I haven't noticed anything yet, but then I'm still new to this.
I have had problems with my hands before and the traditional way of holding the flute leaves the left wrist arched back somewhat, which doesn't work well for me, (my hand starts to cramp up). Any advive would be appreciated. Sorry this post is so long winded.
I changed my mind. Then I found out the new one was smaller and weaker.
msheldon

Post by msheldon »

Generally, on a keyless flute, I cover the last hole (D) when playing the "higher" notes (A,B,C,C#). On a keyed flute, I keep my little finger on the Eb key unless playing D. (Keeping the Eb open strengthens E)
Michael Sheldon
Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a good book.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
sturob
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by sturob »

Michael, that's interesting. In effect, you vent a keyed flute, but close a keyless. Do you find that the upper notes are at all out of tune on a keyless when you leave that finger down?

Stuart
rama
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

1) Check the position of the thumb on the bottom hand, if it is placed more to the 'side' of the flute as opposed to 'under' the flute, it can then exert pressure from the 'in' side of the flute pushing outward and away from you. ( If you can keep the pinky of the lower hand also on the side of the flute it can act in the same manner as well.)

2) The thumb of the upper hand can do the exact opposite: exert pressure which pushes 'in' on the flute from its position on the 'out' side of the flute.

3) At the embouchure hole, the flute should also be pressing firmly against the chin.

So here you have 3 points of contact which counteract each other (like a fulcrum). This should keep the flute stable.

Hope this helps
feadog39

Post by feadog39 »

I play regularly and with considerable ease with the piper grip, although i use the traditional grip when i need to use all the keys. Frankly, i never really took much note of how I did the C#, but i seem to have automatically come to cover the last hole to steady the flute. in effect: ooo oox. I just tested on a tuner and there is absolutely no change in the pitch from being entirely open to having the one hole covered. Covering more than this one hole to steady the flute seems excessive, but here too the pitch is pretty much unchanged.
msheldon

Post by msheldon »

sturob wrote:Michael, that's interesting. In effect, you vent a keyed flute, but close a keyless. Do you find that the upper notes are at all out of tune on a keyless when you leave that finger down?

Stuart
Nope. The only note it affects significantly is the E, and on both my keyed flutes (one-key Sweetheart and a 19th century English 6-key) it serves to strengthen and stabilize that note. The F# is very slightly affected, but frankly it's such a small amount that minor variations in my embouchure make a much bigger difference. Notes higher than that are not affected at all, since the open holes between them are pretty much venting everything anyway.

I also rest my little finger on the Eb key on my Boehm-system flute. It doesn't seem to affect the tone for any note, but it does help stabilize my grip on the flute.
Michael Sheldon
Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a good book.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.