Db,Eb,E,Gb,Ab,A,B,

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Blackbeer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Db,Eb,E,Gb,Ab,A,B,

Post by Blackbeer »

I have this realy nice looking bamboo flute, beautifuly finished, rosewood lip plate, exalent workmanship but with the strangest hole set up. The subject line says it all. Now it may be that I am playing it flat but if so I am consistantly flat. It could be D,E.F,G,A,B,C. Anyway does anyone have any idea what this could be. It realy is a nice sounding flute. I just don`t have a clue what this tuning is.

Tom
Mal

Blackbeer's problem flute

Post by Mal »

Looks to me like your flute me be tuned to the old standard of 415 = "a" rather than the current standard of 440.

Still, that would not account for the entire problem because the top two note of the first octave ("b" and "c#") I would expect to be more tonally equivalent to "b"-flat and "c" than what describe them to be.

I don't pretend to know much about tuning intervals used historically in Western European cultures, much less Outer Mongolia or Lower Slobovia, but I'm pretty sure that no matter how you slice it you flute tuning doesn't conform to anything developed by man outside of a session of zonked out slide whistle players.

Hope you can get your money back!

Mal
Blackbeer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Blackbeer »

Well Mal I`m not even thinking about trying to get my money back. The flute sounds way to nice to get rid of. One person that played it thought it might be a native american tuning of some sort. I will double check the tuning on my program to see if I was mistaken. Thanks for your input though.

Tom