stabilizing the flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Ronbo
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

Nano, that breathing action sounds like it would be very helpful to practice. Unfortunately, in my younger, dumber days, I had my septa deviated to the point that my nose only serves to reference the rest of my face. Do you have any breathing suggestions for us mouth-only breathers? Sometimes, it is tough to breathe properly and sufficiently, particularly during a fast tune.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Hi, Ronbo.

I think you can do the same thing anyway. If you can inhale with a feeling that the breath rapidly "falls" into the lungs rather than being "dragged" in, your inhalation is more efficient. Actually, all one has to do is expand the diaphragm without making a conscious effort at inhaling, and you've already inhaled without trying to a pretty fair degree, and quietly, too. If you need more air, you adjust for that. It works for me. Your mileage may vary, depending on details such as health or the need to practice at this method if it appeals to you. Remember, quick intentional diaphragm expansion rather than making an effort of breathing is the idea; air intake almost seems like an afterthought, and is deceptively fast this way, or so I find.

That's the working model. Unfortunately, from time to time I forget to breathe, and wind up gasping anyway. :lol:

Hope this makes some sense.

Best,
N
Ronbo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

Thanks, Nano.l I get the idea a lot better after your clarification. It is definitely a practice that requires practice, though.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Ronbo wrote:...It is definitely a practice that requires practice, though.
Yes, especially in that one's breathing isn't as obvious, and we have to overcome the impression that we haven't breathed, which can be unsettling.
Dana
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dana »

I want to add to all this good advice on breathing that an open, relaxed throat is essential for quick/deep breaths. The soft palate must be raised, and the throat opened, much like when you yawn. (Practice this approach very much, and you WILL go to sleep). :wink:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Very essential! I forgot that point. Also, an open-throat-to-lungs tract is part of a better resonance to the flute; flute and player become one indeed.